Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume... Whats Up?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty11

qwerty11

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

On my laptop running XP SP2 regarless if it is in safe mode or what not when I start up it says unmountable boot vlume on the blue screen and automatically restarts itself. Error code is 0.00.....ED. It keeps doing this continously. Any ideas what the deal is?

Edited by qwerty11, 19 March 2008 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Unmountable Boot Volume in Windows XP ( WINXP ) - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/wi...unmountable.htm

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555302

Normal cure is to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

To run ckhdsk from the recovery console do the following. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

It gets to a certain percentage and freezes when i do chkdsk. Either it stops raising the percentages or the screen goes to an ugly whitish color. I also tried fixboot, it went throught the process fine but I still get the same error messages when I try to start XP. Whats my next move?

Edited by qwerty11, 20 March 2008 - 10:33 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

I would download and run...a hard drive diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer. Run the long check, not the short one.

The inability of chkdsk to run indicates more severe hard drive problems than XP can cope with (in the disk's present state).

Louis

#6 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

What about do the windows repair install?? Would that erase the HD, I dont want to do that.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

A windows reinstall will not fix this problem. Your disk is failing. If CHKDSK encounters something it doesnt know what to do with on good hardware it tells you what and quits. You need to IMMEDIATELY get this disk into another machine and backup anything essential, as it will die completely soon.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

There are 2 possible things that could be wrong here:
1) the hard drive is bad
2) the file system on the drive is corrupted

chkdsk will check the file system on the drive. If it can't complete (as is your case), then the next level down is the suspect (bad hard drive).

The actual files (that will run the installation) will lay above the file system on the hard drive - so if chkdsk can't finish, then the repair/reinstall of Windows likely won't work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

@usasma

Thanks for putting that much better than I did :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Oh man, that doesnt sound good. I definently dont want to loose the stuff on the HD. I have been lasy about backing it up in the past.

The computer that is messing up is a laptop running XP and my other is a desktop running windows 98. How do I go about putting the HD in my desktop and will it work since it is a different OS?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

If your laptop is a IDE unit, you can use one of These to put it in your desktop.
Does the desktop have USB ports? If the laptop drive is a SATA drive, you can use a USB enclosure. They come for both IDE and SATA
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

The HD is a Seagate momentus 4200.2 80GB Ultra ATA. If you buy it individually online it has a 5 year warranty. My laptop only came with a 1 year warranty, but would this HD still have the 5 year warranty?

What is bet value HD to replace this one with and who has it for the best price? Also, where is the cheapest place to buy the USB enclosure?

#13 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

The HD is a Seagate momentus 4200.2 80GB Ultra ATA. If you buy it individually online it has a 5 year warranty. My laptop only came with a 1 year warranty, but would this HD still have the 5 year warranty?

Nope. Usually the OEM has different deals with the disk makers. Usually you will have to buy a Retail disk, while they buy OEM disks. The warrentys are rarely the same.

As far as the best price, its worth a few more bucks for a disk when you consider that this thing is holding all of your data. I like Western Digital drives, but the only thing I really have to say on that is get ANYTHING but a Maxtor. Their drives are cheap, but they are also short lived trash.

Newegg is probably the best place anywhere.

Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136129
Enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182113

Billy3
Posted Image

#14 qwerty11

qwerty11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

The drive being an ultra ata, would it be a sata or ide?

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

The drive being an ultra ata, would it be a sata or ide?

IDE
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Ultra_...6/100_IDE_Cable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users