Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Previous Account Still Exists And Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 accessdanwi

accessdanwi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Ok, I have 2 problems here, really hoping someone can help me out.

Problem 1
I just built a computer and installed a hard drive from another computer. Everything was taken off of it except for the accounts. I deleted the accounts and then made a new one along with changing the computer name. Everything went great, no hitches. I got a system message saying that I had to activate Windows XP because it detected a different motherboard, no problem. I went ahead and activated it, so far so good. Then I go ahead and reboot and what happens? I have the previous owner's login screen (Luckily no password required) I go into Windows, create another account, change the computer name and then go to delete their account but their account is not listed in the User Accounts? Any ideas on how I can delete this?

Problem 2
Prior to reactivating Windows, I had no connectivity problems, now I do. I get the correct ip addy when I do a IPCONFIG but I can't connect. It's saying more than likely it's a firewall issue, which I know it isn't. I checked, rechecked, and checked some more and positively have no firewalls running. Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.Any ideas on what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

Everything was taken off of it

the operating system had drivers from the old computer/motherboard

this makes a mess, in device manager there may be all kinds of hidden conflicts

you should do a clean install of the operating system even if you have to buy a new copy of windows

If I was trying to repair an oem machine after replacing the motherboard I would at least boot to a generic oem disk and run windows as a repair disk

windoze can get very confused
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Well...I would have just done a repair install of XP...and I think I would have achieved what you may have been attempting.

You would have had an opportunity to change the owner's name, etc...and XP probably would have had the correct settings, user accounts, etc.

Re your network situation...you really need to provide more info. Did you install drivers? Again, if you had done a repair install, that would have all been reconfigured properly.

You're not using a firewall at all? Hmmm...I guess you're a lot more trusting than I am.

Louis

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

A long time ago I ran accross some directions for attempting to change out the motherboard without having access to a install disk, it involved using device manager to remove a lot of drivers/devices before powering down and replacing the motherboard.
Chewy

#5 accessdanwi

accessdanwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Louis,

I didn't have the disk to do a reinstall, it was already installed on the hard drive, had I had the disk, I most likely would've just completely wiped the drive out and did a complete installation. I installed all the drivers from the motherboard disk and nothing.

As far as not using a firewall, I always use a firewall, however when I'm not even able to get Windows up and running correctly to access the internet, popping in a disk to install my favorite firewall program isn't one of my top priorities.

Dachew,

What you're saying makes alot of sense, I think you're probably right. It's just a bunch of conflicts. So, I guess really my only alternative would be to buy a new copy of XP.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

you might try and play around in safe mode and device manager and add/remove programs and do a patch job

after that, boot into regular mode, go back to device manager and show hidden devices

I tried something like you did right after I first got XP, I got a BSOD when I tried to boot, I did a clean install.
Chewy

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Well...if you have a valid license...you could always try to borrow or burn a copy of someone else's XP. Of course, it would have to be XP Home for XP Home, etc...and if a boxmaker OEM system is involved, it would probably be better to contact them for copies of recovery CDs...but it's optional behavior for consideration.

Louis

#8 accessdanwi

accessdanwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

I appreciate the feedback. To answer your question, it is a legal version of Windows. I wouldnt've been able to get the confirmation code for it if it wasn't. The way they have it now is that you have to register it online or by phone, it's more than just putting in the serial code, which is good, it makes it alot more difficult for people to get pirated software. Do you know anywhere that I'd be able to even download a copy of it?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Did I mention "download" in my suggestion?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users