Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Mozilla Browser Hijacked?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jzach28

jzach28

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

I just recently noticed that when I open my mozilla browser, the home page, changes. I did have a firefox start home page before, then it went to google, and now every time I open my browser, it's google, but in different language. First i noticed was in google japanese then now, recently google dutchsland or swedish or something. I am just thinking if my browser was hijacked or its on default with google to change different home page languages because my friends' computer do not. My computer is running on XP by the way.
Posted Image

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Dr. S. Johnson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hello jzach28 and welcome to BC :flowers:

In order to assist you, we need some additional information.

Are you running the Home or Pro edition of XP?

Do you have Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 installed?

What security programs do you have installed?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Have you scanned your PC with an Antivirus and antispyware program. Have you tried them from safe mode/

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Well, I'm running on XP home. It has service pack 2 installed, it usually updates. I use NOD32, spybot S&D, ad-aware. I have done several scans and found nothing, I did not do any scans on safe mode though (I will, now, after reading the post). I tried looking for answers and came up with this so-called "explanation"
, http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=873 , about why google sometimes redirect their homepages. I'm not sure though if its correct or not. Thanks by the way for the reply. I will do a scan in the safe mode just to be sure.
Posted Image

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Dr. S. Johnson

#5 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

Update: I did scan with spybot, ad-aware and NOD32 and found nothing, except for MRUs with ad-aware and after the scan when i connected to the internet my browser returned to the normal english google and firefox start. I noticed in my Zonealarm programs though that mozilla is listening to ports 1041, etc. Is that normal? Or may be I am really just paranoid. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Update again: I'm sorry its TCP port 1045,1047 to be exact. Thanks.
Posted Image

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

As this appears to Not be a malware issue,I suggest you ask this question in this forum AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods
There you will get better info on this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

Thanks boopme, so the listening ports is not an issue? sure to post with the link. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users