Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Short Descriptions In Start Up Processes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Charley30

Charley30

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

When using Windows task manager, processes running, it lists abbreviations. Whenever I try to turn off processes, I have to google the initials to find out if it is a needed or critical process. For example msxml which happens to be Office and necessary. But found one ssdko2.exe which is a virus.
My question is there somewhere in this forum or anywhere else where most of these abbrviations are listed and the explanation of what the function is? Then I could take action. Another example is I always delete tea time which is part of spybot. I cannot figure out how to delete it permanently as I like spybot not tea time which takes a lot of space.

I have xp home with sp2 and dell vostro 400.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Doesn't sound like a great idea to be switching off processes like this just for the sake of it, through task manager. But since you mention you have Spybot - why not use its built-in tool?
If you have Spybot 1.4, switch to Advanced mode, select 'Tools' and then 'process list'. You'll get a lot more information about each process than Task Manager will give you.
If you have Spybot 1.5 (I don't) the route may be different, but I presume the updated version still has the process list tool?
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#3 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for comments Allan. I have Spybot 1.5.2. I looked at the start up applications in Spybot and it also has some initials which does not explain what it is. I was just trying to get rid of any applications I did not need. No big deal was just wondering if their was a list of all of these letters. Spybot is better.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

At the very top of this forum is a list of tabs, reading from left to right, they are: Home, Forums, Tutorials, Startup List, Uninstall List, File Database, Glossary and Resources. Using the Startup List, Uninstall List and File Database you should be able to identify any process you need to keep or know what it is. If it doesn't appear in any of those databases. I would post about it as it has a very good chance of being malware.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

Process Explorer is a good program which can provide you with more information than Task Manager on processess that are currently running as well as which programs they belong to... and the ability to terminate them. Autoruns is another good program which can give you a detailed list of start up programs and the ability to prevent them from starting when the system starts. You can find more info on the two programs and also be able to download the latest versions from here:
Process Explorer
Autoruns

Alan D, I have Spybot S&D v1.5, and under tools I don't see 'Process List', but there is 'System Startup'. By any chance is that what you were referring to? Or in this new version have they completely withdrawn the 'Process List' if it was there... because I can't remember what the last version had...

#6 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

Juda next to file at the top is mode. Choose advance mode. Will get a warning. Then listed on the bottom is settings tools just like the older versions. Thanks for the links I will try both.

#7 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

Alan D, I have Spybot S&D v1.5, and under tools I don't see 'Process List', but there is 'System Startup'. By any chance is that what you were referring to? Or in this new version have they completely withdrawn the 'Process List' if it was there... because I can't remember what the last version had...

In version 1.4 there are 'Process List' and 'System Startup' tools. I don't use 1.5, so I don't know what changes they made, I'm afraid.

There's some uncertainty in this thread about whether Charley30 is talking about the startup list (which he mentions in his thread title), or the running processes list (which he seems to be discussing in his post).

Edited by Alan D, 19 March 2008 - 03:42 PM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#8 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Yes, I agree with you Alan. It looks like there's some sort of ambiguity in Charley's question.

As for the Spybot S&D, it looks like they have withdrawn the 'Process List' in v1.5! Maybe someone will confirm for us.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

I always delete tea time which is part of spybot. I cannot figure out how to delete it permanently

How to Enable/Disable TeaTimer

Spybot S&D Changes & Improvements in v1.5
Spybot S&D FAQs
General questions, Updates, Detections, Bugs and problems, TeaTimer, Error Messages, How-To

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer.

You can download and use AnVir TaskManager Free to investigate all running processes (including startups) and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. It will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Then post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thank you Quietman7. You answered my question. I will be more careful when I post again about a issue. I have 4 computers and use my oldest with the least RAM for web surfing. I do some public speaking and go to joke sites which are infamous for malware etc. Also I go to a file sharing site with the same results. I am always infected with something and have every spyware program known to mankind. I periodically boot to safe mode and run all of the programs which are listed in forum of top freeware. I still like to check what is running on my computer to insure all is ok. I will try the programs you noted. Thank you and others for responding.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users