Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Raid?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chef_franks

chef_franks

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

i have 2 hdd's now do i want to run raid? i see everyone talking about it. is that something i can do now taht my first drive is full and my second drive is empty? and how do i get stuff to save to my second drive?
thanks
dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

You're talking SATA drives right? with the black plug, not the wide thing grey strip. On the off chance they are IDE *with the grey strip* just set the jumper of the new drive to slave and plug it into the middle plug on the strip. I'm new to SATA drives myself, so i'll bail on the real RAID question.
To save to the second drive all you have to do is browse to it when you are saving/installing things. On a sidenote tho your setup will run better if you free up as much space on the main drive with Windows on it as you can then run disk cleanup and defrag it.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

The point of a RAID array is that you can have a faster system by using two or more hdds. The information on the RAID 0 array stipes the information between the two which makes it faster to retrieve information. Older computers that use IDE (ATA or PATA) usually will require a PCI RAID controller, newer motherboards can do this through the BIOS.

There is so much information about RAID arrays that I couldn't cover all of it here, so to further assist you try reading the information in this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

You can just move data files (not programs and not Windows) to your second hard drive, once that drive is formatted and partitioned.

What are the stated sizes of these two hard drives? How much free space is left on the C: partition/drive?

You don't seem to understand fundamentals very well...my advice would be to forget about RAID for now, it will always be available later.

Louis

#5 chef_franks

chef_franks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

ok my first drive is a 40 gb wth about 400 mg available so i cant even defrag. the second drive is another 40. its already formated and recognized. these are both IDE. i just bought a 250 gb that i havent installed yet. its sata. my wifes brother who is good at this stuff bleeped with the bios and couldnt get this one to work so i just put in the other 40. i would liek to have all three. the 250 sata comes up as working properly in add hardware but doesnt show up on my computer so i cant format it.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

right click on my computer>>>manage>>disk management

you have to initialize and format a new drive for windows to see it
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

You will not notice a speed increase off of two hard drives, only 4 or more drives. It uses more computer resources to write the same data onto more than one drive. The main purpose of RAID is for data security in case one drive fails. Therefore RAID is better suited for servers and computers dealing with large volumes of important data. I believe it is kind of silly to do at home unless you have unlimited financial resources and a very good reason to do it. I believe many people do it for bragging rights. Same reason people put 8GB of RAM in a 32 bit operating system.

#8 chef_franks

chef_franks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

ok think i figured it out. im returning the sata 250 to newegg and getting another IDE my friend said then it should work. and im not gonna set it up as a RAID. thanks everyone.

#9 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

I'm probably wrong here, but i thought a RAID setup writes pieces of info to each drive, treating it like one huge drive? If that is the case then i would think that one HDD in the setup failing would screw the entire pooch since pieces of each program would be on the dead drive?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

You both are correct...there are varying types of RAID. You describe a RAID 0, while Squall describes a RAID 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Louis

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Another thing to remember if I recall correctly, is the capacity of the drives. If you use a 40, 80 and a 250 gig drive in a RAID array, The capacity of all drives will be that of the smallest, ie. 40 gig
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 ACS Data Recovery

ACS Data Recovery

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

With two drives you are limited to either RAID 0 (striped set) or RAID 1 (mirrored). One thing to keep in mind is that RAID is not a recommended form of backup or data protection, even when utilizing RAID 1 mirroring. Unless you plan on backing up regularly, I would highly advise against utilizing RAID 0. If one drive has a major mechanical failure in a RAID 0 that results in platter scoring, then there is no way your data is going to be recovered, except for maybe some small data fragments (usually less than 64kb in size).

In RAID 1, you can still have issues where there is file system corruption that propagates over to the mirrored drive. In any case, make sure you utilize a regular backup procedure.
Greg
Doing THIS For A Living

#13 chef_franks

chef_franks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:34 AM

ok thanks everyone. im not gonna raid how do i end this topic?

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:22 AM

No need to end it, we can leave it sit here so someone with a similar question can find it when they search. That's the spirit of the online communities! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users