Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Keeps Shutting Down On It's Own

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 casisk

casisk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

For some reason, beyond my scope of understanding, windows xp keeps shutting down and restarting on its own. "on-Off, On-Off, over and over. Can't do anything. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

System manufacturer, model?

Laptop or desktop?

Known malware problem?

Warnings, error messages received prior to or during this interval?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

One of the most common problems that shuts a computer down is over heating, especially in computers that have been sitting around for a couple of years. Open the case and look to see if there is dust indisde, look a the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU, and check where the air is drawn into the case. You can purchase a can of air from most hardware stores or you local electronics shop. Any where that you see dust inside should be blown out. When blowing out the fan you can place a pencil through the blades to keep it from spinning.

You can also check the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at the times when the computer shuts down.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer. Click on system in the Event Viewer, errors will be recognized by the red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of it, if you follow an error from the left side of the screen to the right to the Event column and right click on the number and choose Properties another page will open with a description of the error. Please post those and the error number back here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users