Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Or Panda

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LeroiB

LeroiB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hi,
After spending weeks reading reviews of security software that nearly sent me into a fetal position, I think I've narrowed it down. I'm currently using AOL's version of McAfee.

I think I want to switch to either AVG or Panda and continue to run Spysweeper and/or PC Doctor. I'm not a sophisticated used and I won't be able to work with anything that requires me to answer a hundred incomprehensible questions every time I want to do something.

So do I have to remove McAfee before installing either Panda or AVG? And which would this forum's users recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hello,

Out of the two, I would advise panda as opposed to AVG. I'm probably in a minority on this decision. I have tested a lot of antivirus products and I don't hold much regard for AVG. The two products I would recomend at this time would be

1 http://www.free-av.com/ the 90 day trial
2 http://www.eset.com/ sadly not free but one of the best.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

Before purchasing a program, see if that program offers a free full-version trial. If it does, install and use it before forking over money. There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security-what works for me may not work for you.
A free trial will let you know real quick if the program will play nice with your system and if it's user friendly.

And yes, you will have to uninstall McAfee before installing anything else.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

Out of the two, I would advise panda as opposed to AVG. I'm probably in a minority on this decision. I have tested a lot of antivirus products and I don't hold much regard for AVG. The two products I would recomend at this time would be

1 http://www.free-av.com/ the 90 day trial
2 http://www.eset.com/ sadly not free but one of the best.

If I may ask on here?might anyone know if either of these two antivirus programs are compatible with Windows 98se ?

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

According to the FAQ, in NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 :

Please note ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 is for computers running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, XP and Vista. If you have an older version of Microsoft Windows, you are fully protected by ESET NOD32 v2.7 for the duration of your license.

And the FAQ in Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus:

Starting July 2006, Microsoft discontinued the support for Windows 98/ME. As announced some time ago on Product lifecycle information page on www.avira.com, we do not offer new versions and updates for Windows 98/ ME virus protection any longer.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users