Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Heatsink

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hi all,

My laptop keeps turning itself off.

I opened it up, the fan appears to be spinning fine.

Not sure of the exact term, but the liquid/silver substance which sits between the processor and the heatsink, there is barely any there. This maybe the problem, any suggestions?

Thank you

Dave
Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

No solution, just a clarification: Did you remove the heatsink/fan from the CPU?

Manufacturer and model for the laptop?

Louis

#3 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

No solution, just a clarification: Did you remove the heatsink/fan from the CPU?

Manufacturer and model for the laptop?

Louis

Hi Louis,

Yes with everything turned off.

I removed the fan, then on the processor there was barely any of the slivery/white sustance you normally find on processors?

Whats it called?

The Laptop is a Hi-Grade, unsure of the exact model number

cheers

Edited by mar5hy, 19 March 2008 - 08:23 AM.

Brighton, UK

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

The paste is called thermal compound. There shouldn't be very much as all it does is fill in the extremely small gaps between the CPU and the heat sink to help conduct the heat from the CPU out through the heat sink. Since you have already separated the heat sink from the CPU I would suggest that you clean both surfaces and apply a fresh coat of thermal compound, a lot of people prefer Arctic Silver. All you need is a drop no larger than a small grain of rice, distribute evenly over the metal surface of the CPU where the heat sink matches up.

While you have it apart, take a can of air and blow the insides out, including the heat sink.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users