Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Move Or Transfer Files Anymore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toosmiles

toosmiles

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

hi guys,
for some reason last week my hard drive wont let me move or copy stuff to and from it.the yellow file appears then nothing,not even the transfer window,ive left it for half an hour and nothing.i tried to restart pc but it says it in the process of moving files and wont let me
any ideas whats causing this peeps
cheers
simon :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hmmm...could be that the drive needs to have chkdsk /r and then defrag run on it.

I would try that first, you can run chkdsk from My Computer (follow directions in link): XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

I always try the easy stuff first :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

Go to My Computer and place you pointer on your C drive, two pieces of information will show, the capacity of the hdd and how much free space there is. Please post this information. You hdd requires a certain percentage of free space to move files around, if that space is there is will either become very slow, or even stop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 toosmiles

toosmiles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

thanx for the info guys
ive actually stumbled on it-i was checking what proccess was running and ending most of the high mem usage but to no avail then thought sod it and started canceling everything in the list-i canceled a svchost.exe and the transfer started
could u believe it!
i know ive got several of them running so i cant find the actual cause,maybe hit and hope next time or is there a way i can find out?
cheers
simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users