Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound + Office Reinstallation Required

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stuffed

Stuffed

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:15 AM

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago my system was running fine, then I picked up the trojan vundo. I sought help from bleeping computers and had the malware removed. However, two issues have no arisen;

1. I no longer have sound. The speakers are working, mute buttons are unchecked, volume is up, and I have downloaded and installed the required drivers, yet still the sound is not working.

2. On a number of occassions, I try and open microsoft excel and an installation box appears. I insert the microsoft office disc and reload excel, I can then use excel. Then the same thing happens again on another day after starting the computer and attempting to open excel, an installation box appears and I have to reload excel.

Something is wrong.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuffed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

The only thing that I can suggest is...possible corruption of system and Office files.

To eliminate the prospect of such, I would uninstall and reinstall Office with appropriate updates...and I would run sfc /scannow to replace missing or damaged system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I would also check Device Manager to see what it reflects for the sound/multimedia items.

And...I would check Event Viewer for possible clues to items which may impact, What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the reply.

I ran scannow. Nothing has changed, still no sound.

I checked the device manager everything appears to be fine there.

I had a look at event viewer, that's a bit beyond me, there are 2,677 events, I really don't know what I am looking for.

I will uninstall office and reinstall it and update it as you suggested. However I will sought that out later, my primary concern is to get the sound working again.

Where to from here?

Thanks,

Stuffed

Edited by Stuffed, 20 March 2008 - 06:31 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

In Device Manager, right click on your sound card and select "Uninstall" - then reboot. Windows will redetect the sound card when it reboots. If it gives you sound, all is well.

If not, then you'll have to find the make and model of your sound card in order for us to locate the prpper driver. To do this, right click on the device, select "Properties", then select the Details tab.

In the details tab, select the Hardware ID in the dropdown window. Note the 4 characters after the VEN_ and the 4 characters after the DEV_ Let us know these characters and we'll look them up at http://www.pcidatabase.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Hi usasma,

I uninstalled and rebooted my computer, still no sound.

The four characters after the Ven are 1102 and after the Dev 0002.

I visited the site, the driver was the same one that I recently downloaded and reinstalled, I reinstalled it again, and still no sound.

Thanks

Stuffed

Edited by Stuffed, 20 March 2008 - 11:16 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Does the sound icon show in the quick launch bar?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2008 - 10:07 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

It doesn't take much to break a soundblaster live, they worked on those drivers for a long time when they released xp

Is the device a pci card or onboard?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hi,

The volume control program is installed and is in the task bar.

Yes the device is a pci card.

Thanks

Stuffed

Edited by Stuffed, 21 March 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Try a different sound card...or the onboard sound, if you have, to try to narrow the problem scope.

Louis

#10 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hi,

The option of trying another sound card is not viable at the moment. Basically the only way I am going to try another sound card is by purchasing another one. I know in the area of fault finding testing the actual sound card is obvious.

How would I know if my system has onbound sound?

All I know before the trojan vundo and the malware removal sound was working fine, and now it isn't, that is why I suspect a systems problem, a missing file, a registry problem or something like that.

Do sound cards just die?

Could it just die at the same time I went through the malware removal?

What other diagnostics tests can be undertaken.

I don't really want to find myself in the situation of buying new sound only to find it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Stuffed

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:05 AM

that's good logic, it happens all the time

now regarding onboard, look at the back of your case

do you see 3 or so connectors running vertically that look similar to your sound card ones

onboard will all be in a row, mouse, kb, usb etc

vs cards

it doesn't take an einstein to figure it out

to test onboard if any you would have to pull the pci sound card and enable onboard in bios and/or device manager
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hi,

The problem has been solved. It appears that one of my output jacks is no longer working. I have always had my speakers in the (black jack) for rear speakers, this jack is no longer functioning that is why there is no sound. I changed the speakers to the (green jack) front speakers and sound is working, so I will just use this jack from now on.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for all the useful suggestions and ideas.

Stuffed

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users