Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occational problem when trying to turn on my computer.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 esthermm

esthermm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:07 AM

Hi,

Every once and a while Im unable to turn on my computer, the way that I solve that problem is by turning the on/off switch on my serge protector on and off several times, i hope thats understandable.

This problem occured today and I had to turn my surge protector on and off about 10 times until my comp finally started.

Can somebody explain to me why this happens

Some information about my comp:
-its a Hewlett Packard Pavillion
-its about 5 or 6 yrs old
-I have Windows 98
-I havent recently downloaded any programs
-Has 64mb
-and when i go to start my comp. it basically acts like an old car that you have to turn the ignition over and over again until it starts.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi esthermm and welcome to BC.

When you turn your surge protector on and off I hope you are not doing it rapidly as that can damage your hard drive.

I would suggest that you download and run Ccleaner to clean out the junk files on your computer and then run scandisk and defrag.

Post back with the info from Ccleaner concerning the amount of files it cleaned and we will go from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 esthermm

esthermm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:50 AM

When you turn your surge protector on and off I hope you are not doing it rapidly as that can damage your hard drive.[

I would suggest that you download and run Ccleaner to clean out the junk files on your computer and then run scandisk and defrag.

When you turn your surge protector on and off I hope you are not doing it rapidly as that can damage your hard drive.

im not doing it rapidly.

I just ran Ccleaner but i havent deleted any of the files yet.

Is it absolutely safe to delete all the files that ccleaner found?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

Yes you can delete all of those files found by Ccleaner. They are all unneccessary temporary files, log files, cookies and the like. It also deletes some Windows files that will be replaced when you reboot. Did it find a lot? Most people are surprised by the amount it removes.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 esthermm

esthermm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:03 PM

Did it find a lot? Most people are surprised by the amount it removes.

oh yes :thumbsup: it found a ton of bleep.

I'll delete the files.

#6 esthermm

esthermm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

ok, I used the ccleaner and I ran scandisk and defrag. Scandisk found a few errors and fixed them. Now what?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:17 PM

Sometimes an excees of those junk files will cause you problems booting.

If you continue to have problems booting it may be an issue with your computers power supply. Those older HP's were known to to be prone to PS failures.

If it happens again post back. If you get any error messages write down exactly what they say and post them here.

#8 esthermm

esthermm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

well let me explain something else, i came here for a second opinion. I went to another forum before I found this one and explained my problem. I was told that it was probably a bad switch and that I may need to change the battery on the motherboard.

Does that make any sense to you?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:23 PM

If the battery is dead then your system clock won't keep the proper time and you will get an error message when you boot. Do you?

If there is something wrong with the switch it most likely won't start at all.

When you say it won't start, exactly what happens when you press the button? Look in the back the next time it happens. There is a round hole near the top with a fan in it. Is it spinning? Are any of the lights on?

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:37 AM

I doubt it's the switch. I'd lean more toward a weak or failed capacitor in the motherboard or power supply. I had a similar problem, and although I never really solved the problem, I replaced the power supply and it worked for a while, until everything started going wonky - keyboard, BIOS, memory. But testing the switch with a meter showed that it was working.

With an ATX board, the power is always on as long as it's plugged in. But the motherboard contains the power switching mechanism.

#11 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

Esthermm: Forgive me for stating the obvious, but the next time you are able to get the critter up and running, do not fail to backup all of your data. You may be close to having to decide about spending some money to have someone service your unit (replace the power supply, motherboard, whatever) OR simply buying a new computer. Having your data on a handful of CD's will allow you make that decision much easier. Good luck...hoping you discover an easy fix.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users