Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certrecom Fs708

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pheidius

pheidius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:53 AM

Daisy Chaining CentreCom FS708
Bookmark:
I am confused by the directions for the above switch. http://www.alliedtelesyneurope.com/site/fi...cs/at10864a.pdf I have 24 machines(arranged in three parallel rows of 8 stations) that I need to connects to my server's lan. I have a quad 2.5 running OS X server Tiger that has two gigabit ports. en0 is the server's internet feed. EN1 is the lan feed. En1 will first go using a straight cable to a TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet Switch under my desk that does not have a dedicated uplink. I am also going to run 4 long straight cables to g4 towers in each corner of my room that have gigabit built-in. One of these will be a video server recieving video streams from each g4's iSight so I wanted one gigabit switch for the added throughput. The rest of the computers in the three rows are g3 iMacs which only have 100mb cards. So all the other switches are 10/100. The next two switches are the CentreComs. I was assuming that I could use a straight cable from the TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet Switch to run to the first CentreCom. After that, I am not sure. This switch has a "9th" port labled "to hub" that I had thought, without looking closely, was a dedicated uplink. Port 8 is labled X to PC. If I am reading these directions right, then it looks as if it is saying that I can use a straight cable to connect these in a daisy chain only if I use one of the 8 x ports. I am confused, though, as to the use of the"9th" port labled "to hub." Can I get any use out of that or is it for other non applicable IT destinations? Ignoring it, for the moment, would the correct way to daisy chain these switches, then, be a straight cable from desk gigabit switch to say port 8 on the first CentreCom. Then another straight cable from say port 7 on the first CentreCom to port 8 on the second CentreCom. After that it would be all cheap generic nways to complete the hookup so I assume I would need to do crossovers after that. Am I reading/thinking about this correctly and is the 9th "to hub" port worthless for my needs in this case. In other words, do I have the correct sequence of straight and crossover cables to wire this little lan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users