Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Service Pack One Released!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:33 AM

Hi guys,

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Released! I live in Australia... and if your like me, and didn't see The update in Windows Updates, I just went to Microsoft Download site and got it! and it runs great... Took about an hour to install :-).

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

Release Notes for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 *Highly reccomended you download before installing SP1 on your system! it contains KNOWN issues in this service pack!*

Enjoy :-)

Josh.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

It's been a while since I've been around.... but anyways...

Vista SP1 (for those who have been running Windows Update religiously, like myself) are not going to notice much of a difference in the way Windows Vista runs. You will in most cases notice file transfering from HDD to HDD or from one location on the HDD to another of the same HDD to be a bit speedier in initiation and termination after success.

For those who have been running the RC of SP1 are going to notice even smaller changes (like myself) who have been using RC1 since late December 07.

I look forward to what will come of SP1 and eventually SP2, which we all know will come.......

(Then there was 7)
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:41 AM

Well there you go, SP1 was just sitting in my update folder....downloading now.....starting to pray!
MCP
MSDST

#4 mas_pogi

mas_pogi

Carpal Tunnel of Love

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

hi,

Ive also seen the update just this morning.......

But im still looking for my recovery DVD, i misplaced it........hehehehe..

maybe ill download it tonight.

If anyone already installed SP1. PLease post.

m

Edited by mas_pogi, 19 March 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Yes I now have SP1 installed without a glitch.
MCP
MSDST

#6 Josho

Josho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

I also have installed SP1.

It is very good!!! No problems here, No more Explorer.exe crashes, and MUCH faster file transfer.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:14 AM

Lot's of users are reporting successful SP1 installations - so for most people the XP SP2 debacle is now ancient history. But a few people are having issues - particularly with reboot loops at step 3. It'll be interesting to see what's causing it.

I haven't seen any drastic performance improvements with it, and it'll take a while to see any reliability or security improvements - but all in all it seems to be a worthwhile update.

Some threads about the update 3 of 3 boot loop:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...1&SiteID=17
Page 7, post dated 19 Feb 2008, 7:27 AM UTC by maynardsm: http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpo...=0&pageid=6
3 posts later...19 Feb 2008, 2:56 PM UTC by BryanCelyn
3 posts later... 19 Feb 2008, 8:40 PM UTC by Susan Bradley

The fix of renaming pending.xml to something else seems to be the most popular.
Some will boot into Safe Mode to remove some offending updates
Others will use System Restore with limited success (recent restore points may not work, may have to go back several days).

This article says essentially the same thing (but gives a priority to the above suggestions): http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=21969
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

I downloaded sp1 and now the printer is only printing blank pages. Also had multiple windows updates of files already downloaded in my add remove folder. I uninstalled then took the windows update again and I think that may be resolved. But can the printer problem be related to Sp1??

Edit: I reinstalled the printer firmware now everything is A OK

Edited by tpm, 20 March 2008 - 02:52 PM.

Tom

#9 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

i downloaded SP1 on Wednesday and i have 2 problems, once it was installed it deactivated my vista home premium, and today it is showing windows version 6.0 build 6000: i thought it was 6001?

it is howing up in Update History. as important and installed successful.

but when i was in where you can view youe base score it used to have Service Pack 1 writting below windwos vista home premium up the top it is not showing now.

anyone have deactivation after installing it?

i checked windows up dates and it says i need to download and install it. i don't want to do it again as it may deactivate window again

Edited by Izzy, 20 March 2008 - 05:51 PM.

#10 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

I downloaded this morning and I have everything working well as of now. It does show it is installed under computer info
Posted Image
Tom

#11 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

mine was but not now. did it deactivate your windows?

should i redownload from windows update or try the 400mb version above?

Edited by Izzy, 20 March 2008 - 06:05 PM.

#12 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

No it did not (Not yet anyway!)
Tom

#13 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

i tried to do a technicle support through m/soft, only way is email but i can't as it says ERROR! some help they are.

#14 mas_pogi

mas_pogi

Carpal Tunnel of Love

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

i nstalled it but im havng a problem. I was about to post in bleeping that the upgrade is successful when the screen just turn into blackscreen. Even a mouse pointer cant be seen.

I just bought this laptop 2 week ago and never experience this kind of problem.

I just backtrack evrything in my restore point.

Also i noticed that the RAM available as it is seen in Welcome center and dxdiag doesn't match anymore. Before the upgrade it is the same.

Please let me know if others has also encountered this.

Thanks.
Mark

Edited by mas_pogi, 20 March 2008 - 07:06 PM.

#15 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

stupid windows update installed service pack 1 again and now my windows is deactivated again.

i couldn't activate over the net last time as it said i used licesense aggreement or whatever. It worked this time. hope service pack 1 stays on this time.

Edited by Izzy, 20 March 2008 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users