Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:28 AM

I have been running two computer at my desk , Pri Dell GX1 1.2ghz , Sec Dell GXa P-II 300mhz . I use the GXa to monitor other computers on my intranet w/ VNC . I decided to consolidate to 1 computer with dual monitors . For about a day the GX1 allow me to dual monitor , 19" on the new 32mg Stealth III PCI and the 15" on the onboard 8mg ATI Rage Pro AGP 2X . I rebooted and now the onboard card has been disabled . This has happened it the last hour (of this post). Has anyone run into this problem and did you over come it . It shows disabled in the BIOS , so I don't believe it a software problem . There are no setting in the BIOS that I am aware of to enable the onboard video .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:50 PM

I contacted Dell and they said you cannot run two video cards in a GX1 . The only way to do two monitor is a single card with two outputs . So I just ordered a ATI Radeon 7000 64mg DDR dual monitor PCI . Cheap only 40$ . I just though I would pass on what I have learned .

acklan

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:10 PM

I am sorry for not commenting on this earlier. It would seem lately, that I just cant find enough computer time.

It is true that some motherboards do not like using a PCI and onboard for dual monitors, because it did work at one time for you suggests that some software is not allowing it.

When going to dual monitors, it is often easier to go with a single video card that have dual outputs. Not only will the conflict issues (between 2 different manufacturers) be greatly lessened, but these particular cards are designed for it.

Lets us know how it comes when you install it. I currently use Dual monitors, and may be able to offer more advice to tweek the settings.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply . Will using to different size monitor matter . 1 -15" and 1-19" ? I'll keep ya'll up to date .

acklan

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

The different sized monitors would not make much of a difference. The problem would really be in the resolution. With using 2 different size monitors, you will often have 2 different resolutions. Most dual monitor vid cards will actually find a resolution that both monitors can share. Also when using 2 different sized monitors, when you have something full screen on one, and you want to transfer it to the other monitor, then there will be times that it will be a little off-screen.

Just as I recommend to use a (single) video card with dual outputs, I would also recommend that you use two monitors that are the same size. You can mix LCD and CRT though. The different when switching applications between them is minimal.

Edited to correct typos.

Edited by JEservices, 25 March 2005 - 09:24 AM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:13 AM

Cool . I found two 20" Sun DVI monitors for $35/ea . I'm on my way.

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users