Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Mem Test

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

I've got an older home built system about 7 years old. I was experiencing random reboots and browser closures. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics. It failed the LRAND test almost consistently so I replaced the original 512 MB with a new 1 GB module. It still checks the same. I put the old 512 MB stick that I had removed in an old HP unit and ran the mem test on that. The memory checked out perfectly which leads me to believe that the memory wasn't the problem in the first place. So, am I correct in assuming that the mobo is the next most likely culprit?

I really am not too enthused about replacing the motherboard since that would probably call for a new processor, new memory, as well as a new graphics card. And I'd still be stuck with two IDE hard drives.

System specs:
ECS-Elitegroup L4S8A2 Motherboard
Pentium 4 2.4 Gz processor
1 GB DDR 333 RAM (PC2700)
ATI Radeon 7000 Series AGP Graphics adapter w/64 MB
30 GB and 160 GB IDE Hard drives

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads...=82&LanID=0

do you have the latest bios?

check your version and mobo revision number?

check your bios memory speed settings
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Any hints on how to check that information?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

You seem to have an excellent skill at detailed description, I googled your mobo, got to that link and downloaded your manual

The link also shows how to identify your motherboard and bios

The manual lists the settings in bios for the memory

A lot of people won't even open the case, fixing older computers is the first step towards building your own
Chewy

#5 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

I have the User's Guide for the motherboard in hand and nowhere does it mention the BIOS version. And yes, I too have visited the ECS site and located my motherboard. From what I gather, there are two BIOS updates available, 1.0b and 1.0c. But the site expressly asks that you not upgrade unless you need one of the fixes available.

So back to my original question. Is the mobo the suspect for failed memory tests when the memory checks good on another computer, or should I be looking somewhere else?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

Is the mobo the suspect for failed memory tests when the memory checks good on another computer,

the motherboard is either failing, or bios is set wrong for the memory or your powersupply is too weak?

the memory should be good

death and taxes are for sure, the rest is guesswork, hopefully educated

on that web page is a link
M/B PCB version
you can make sure the page and bios listed are your motherboard

usually when your computer posts it shows the installed bios, sometimes even in bios itself

use the pausebreak key when it first boots

this is a good time to learn this stuff, you don't have as much as lose if you break it

ECS is a terrible brand of motherboard, a new one isn't worth the 40$ they sell for, an old one is more trouble than it's worth

Edited by DaChew, 18 March 2008 - 11:17 PM.

Chewy

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

SIW will show you what BIOS you have, its version and everything else that you would want to know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Quote "the motherboard is either failing, or bios is set wrong for the memory or your powersupply is too weak?"

I've checked the power supply voltages and everything looks normal. I haven't made any changes to bios settings and have a really difficult time convincing myself that the box ran perfectly for over six years with the present settings, and suddenly they are wrong. So I guess that leaves the motherboard. I think I'll bite the bullet and rebuild the system from the case up. The only reason I really didn't want to do that is that this is now my wife's computer. About all she uses it for is e-mail and playing simple on-line games.

Thanks for the replies.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:34 AM

I've seen, on rare occasions, that defective memory slots/memory controller channels will give bad results in MemTest. The usual test is to try one of the known good RAM modules in each of the slots - this'll let you know which slot's are bad and which are good. If a known good RAM module fails in all slots, then it's a safe bet that the motherboard is bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users