Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Clean-up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

I am running like at 17% free space on my hard drive ... local disk is about 37% ... want to rid unnec. stuff from C: but nothing I do seems to make that much of a difference.

I store everything I can on the local disk, flash/ jump drives, etc... I have never cleaned the registry .. don't trust the programs.

Win 98 was left on C: although it was upgraded to XP Professional in 2005. Maybe that could be removed?

What would you suggest I do?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

I would try using SequoiaView to see what's taking up all the space.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

What is the size of the disk?
Have you tried CCleaner?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

no on CCleaner ... SequoiaView said: 14287Mb with 2447 Mb free.

SequoiaView is pretty, but I probably need the list. Although I specified C: only, it showed C: and E: side by side. (E: is my local/ storage area.)

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

http://www.jamsoft.net/freeware/index.shtml
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 gentisle

gentisle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hi, if you or anyone installed ANY Windows on top of ANY other Windows, that is your problem. You need to:

1. save all your data on some external storage, (usb drives, CD/DVDs, ZIP, or whatever)
2. Wipe your hard drive, and
3. Reinstall the latest Windows.

I never ran Win 98 (I was using NT - more stable), but everyone I knew that knew about computers told me that you had to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Win98 about every six months to keep it running at normal speed. So someone installed a newer version of Windows on top of one that had gotten clogged up. How well do you think that will work? I know, I know, you haven't had any problems up till now. None that you have seen evidence of anyway. Windows is good at hiding a lot of problems from you, and then one day, you have the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back", and everything goes kaput.

If you have to reinstall and you have the UPGRADE edition of XP Pro, it's best to use a program such as partition magic or some partitioning software (there are FREE ones available on the internet which are safe) to shrink your C: partition, create a D: and reinstall XP in D:. The trouble with that is XP installation will still try to incorporate what's on C:, so you get all the crap. Someone else may have a better idea for reinstalling. Good luck.

Terry

#7 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

CCleaner recovered 22% MORE space that was mainly temporary files and cookies that Adaware SE and Checkdisk were not discarding.

Thanks for that helpful advice, Billy.

Terry, haven't noted any probs with Win 98 vs. XP Pro like you are fererring to. Hope it doesn't come up either. Will watch for it though.

Al

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:40 AM

That makes sense, as adaware and chkdsk dont look at temp files :thumbsup:

Hope that helped,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#9 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

I ran CCleaner again for the fun of it and after jut 24 hours of it's last run; there were like 15 new temp files to be deleted!! Looks like I will be using it A L O T !

I tried the registry option to see what the results would be AND, I couldn't believe my eyes. There were TWELVE different catagories of stuff!!!! Are there any rules of thumb to follow when selecting which of these to remove? There were things on there I have NO idea what they are... some are just a series of like 25 numbers and letters... some were for stuff I deleted a LONG time ago too.

Thanks so much... I know I have read about CCleaner, but... I guess I had other things going on too.

My friend has a laptop that she is having problems with .. could it be cownloaded to a laptop and ran?

You cannot imagine how much your help has de-stressed potential moments these past few days!! Thanks so much!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

A simple rule for things such as the registry...if you don't know, don't play.

You may not like the results.

Louis

#11 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

go ahead and tell it to fix the stuff for the registry, just make sure to make the backup.

It is mostly uninstalled files, things u deleted that are still in the registry.

also check out this site

auslogics disk defrag it will keep ur comp running smoothly

#12 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

How does auslogic differ from the system's defrag prg? Would you advise running both? If so, which first?

After I used CCleaner, when I tried to defrag -- it told me the drive didn't need to be defragged although there were 'holes' everywhere... I planned to run something toniite because it is going to take it a while to do it.

#13 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

auslogics usually works faster for me because u can set it to work faster, for me at least it made the computer run faster than the regular defrag program

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

So it actual defrags quicker and gives better performance than the one that comes with XP?

I might consider it now.

#15 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Yes, but it is not the best defragger. The best free defragger for Windows is called JKDefrag.
(Read the how it works section for why it's different than AusLogics.)

That said, defragging the hard disk is not needed for most modern computer systems, most of the time. Most of the performance gains are illusory since the advent of NTFS. FAT and it's derivatives could run into serious fragmentation problems, but NTFS is designed from the ground up to passively avoid this problem. For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrag#Myths

Hope that helps,
Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users