Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN Messenger Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 obededom

obededom

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

I have an MSN Messenger problem - two messages pop up saying that the computer is infected with a virus that will not let msn messenger load - I don't want msn messenger on at all and i believe the problem is in this strand:

:flowers: O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background :trumpet:

If you know what the problem is, please help.

:thumbsup: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:17:58 PM, on 3/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\BNUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kurt Wine\My Documents\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe

:inlove: Thanks for all your help,
~Obededom~
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:13 PM

I dont see any viruses here. What exactly fdo the popups say?

Can you give us a screenshot of it?

#3 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:53 PM

Grinler,

This computer (which is different than some other topics I've posted recently) that has the popup problem isn't mine; however, I'm trying to contact the person who owns it to get more info from him. I was able to look at it recently and post the above log, I just wasn't able to write down what the popups said. I do, though, recall a few things about the popups:

:inlove: at the top it said something about "windows is telling you there is a virus on your computer."
:flowers: i know that somewhere in the popups, it says something about msn messenger - that's why i thought it may be a problem with msn messenger.
:trumpet: there are two popups - one is smaller and then after you exit that one, another larger popup comes up.
:thumbsup: it's not an IE problem b/c they popup when all programs are closed.

I hope this is somewhat enough info to try to evaluate the problem. Again, I'll try to contact the one who owns the computer so I can post a screenshot - by the way, if you could tell me how to post a screenshot, that would be nice. Thanks for all the help!!

~Obededom~
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

Have them check their services (start, run and type services.msc and press enter) and see if the messenger service is on. If it is disable and stop it. Could be messenger spam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users