Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drives And Vista Problems..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Lucitt

Glenn Lucitt

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi guys.
i finally got around to buying a new PC.
It's running vista premium.
I've got 2 external hard drives,
1 80gb Maxtor
1 400gb Freecom.

with the 80gb, the PC tells me it doesn't recognise it.
I downloaded a "patch" from maxtor, but was forced to system restore and roll back after installing it as it gave me a blue screen of death, then wouldn't boot properly.

With the 400gb, it doesn't even recognise its existence.
Booting the PC with the drive already on, makes the PC recognise it, but when I open the drive the PC then freezes.

I can't seem to find any upgrades /drivers for it from Freecom, yet both work perfectly on my XP machine.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction as to how to get these 2 drives to work ?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I've posted in the wrong bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

I think I'd buy a USB card ($5-10) and assume that my onboard USB ports are the problem.

Or try to disprove that...since both work fine on a different system.

Simple attempted solution...go into Device Manager, uninstall USB controllers, reboot and allow to reinstall. Then try.

Louis

#3 Glenn Lucitt

Glenn Lucitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Sorry - should have said.
i'm pretty computer illiterate, particularly with Vista, as i've only had it for 2 days.
Can you explain where device manager is please?

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hmmm (this is embarassing)...although I have a copy of Vista, I have not installed it yet :thumbsup:.

But I can Google, one of these should be useful: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=D...n+Vista+Premium

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users