Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition non-partition section

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:46 AM

I have an 80 GB hard drive, but left 20 GB unpartitioned for linux. I have since decided not to install linux and want to partition that 20 GB section. However, I have corrupted this hard drive before by messing up the partition and I lost all my files.
I want to know if there is a way to partition that section without any chance of screwing up my existing partition and losing everything. Also, if I wanted to backup my hard drive to another 80 GB drive, how would I do this?

thanks
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

What kind of Hard Drive?
All HD makers have partition tools for their hardware.I have successfully recovered lost partitons while keeping the main partition untouched (no data loss). Also if this is a Maxtor drive the maxblast tools allow you to copy one HD to another (like Ghost). Im sure Western Digital and others have these same tools. MaxBlast works with just about any drive,doesn't "have" to be Maxtor. FDISK is good at this too.
Oh yeah.......*Grinler smacks you for not installing Linux. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

a very easy way to do this if your using xp right click my computer....left click manage...left click disk management....your disk info will be there find the unpatitioned space and right click it and click create new partition, and foolow the directions

#4 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

My hard drives a western digital. I think I'll try brunt's suggestion, but what allocation unit size should I chose?

by the way,
linux didn't support my integrated peripherals and I had no clue as to how to install drivers.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.

#5 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:16 PM

you choose choose the allocation size as all the rest of your partitions! XP runs best under NTFS especailly with the bigger hd's but with a smaller drive you can do fat32. All a preference. Allocate as much of the HD as you want all or make a couple partitions out of it. Again all a preference. You should not tick do a fast format as it will not preform a chkdsk as it formats.
As for Linux not supporting your mobo stuff what peripherals are we talking about? And what distro where you using?

#6 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:20 PM

I was talking about Redhat 9 not supporting the integrated LAN and audio on my Asus A7N8X-X.

How do I find out my allocation size?

Edited by HuckerJ, 21 July 2004 - 04:21 PM.

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

Let it go to default here is some screen shots I think its much easier this way

Format 1

Fomrat 2

And name it whatever you want!

#8 HuckerJ

HuckerJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:53 PM

I worked! Thanks for all your help brunt.

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:17 PM

No problem HuckerJ Glad to be of Help.. Glad it worked for ya :thumbsup:

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

You have enough partitions brunt? :thumbsup:

I can only imagine how boring you would see my computer with its 2 drives and only 3 total partitions :flowers:

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:54 AM

You have enough partitions brunt? :thumbsup:
I can only imagine how boring you would see my computer with its 2 drives and only 3 total partitions  :trumpet:

:flowers: ... Now just think I still have another 2 hard drivers under there. But there backup hd'sand my Linux Partiton. so I only have 4 more partitions on 400 more gigs. I Just like my computer all hacked up :inlove: Nothing goes on C no page no documents no internet explore temp files. I dont like defraggin :cool:

#12 Shibby

Shibby

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

Can someone explain "partitions" to me. I am going to install Linux and want to duel boot because i already have windows. I am not sure how to do this and partitioning seems like the way, but i am a little unsure what it is.

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

Well shibby to make a partition is really just breaking the hard drive into little drawers. Here is a great tutoral on this.

Partitoning a dual boot system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users