Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

harddrive continuously loses space

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 volta06

volta06

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:39 PM

Hi,
This is my first time to these forums, but I am fairly computer literatue. Anyways, lately, I have been noticing sluggish performance from my pc. It also seems to be constantly losing space on the harddrive. For example, two days ago i had 107gbs left. Without intstalling, downloading, etc, today I turn it on and I only have 96gbs left! I don't know if that is a virus problem or something else, but it is bothering me.

Also, today i checked my task manager, and I noticed that i had vsmon.exe. I have heard that this is a pretty bad worm. Can anyone help me get rid of it? would this have anything to do with my harddrive problem? Point me to some links if this has already been discussed. Thanks a ton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hi volta 06 and welcome to BC

vsmon.exe is part of ZoneAlarm so thats ok.

A worm virus can write useless data to your hard drive in an attempt to fill it up and crash your machine.

What AV are you using? If its not picking it up one of the online ones might help. Take a look at this site.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:59 PM

I am using norton. I thought that vsmon was also a worm that can cause problems (undetected by norton)

#4 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

link to vsmon description

this is where i find info about it.

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:11 AM

Check your PC with Sophos then.

Read these instructions

Download Sav32CLI if your using winxp/2k/nt

Sophos Dos Rescuedisk if your using Win9x

If sophos finds nothing then your not infected, if it dectects the virus it will clean it for you.

If your using XP etc... you might want to use RescueME which will download SAV32CLI and doesn't require you to enter in the command line parameters.

Once run download hijackthis and post a log in this section of the forum to double check that everything has been removed.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

The worm copies itself to a file named vsmons.exe in the Windows system folder and creates the following registry entries:

Many viruses use thinly disguised common file names to hide themselves. That quote is from the link you gave us. Do you have vsmon.exe or vsmons.exe? The first one is a ZoneAlarm file and the second is the virus.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 March 2005 - 11:17 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

Well, I have zonealarms, but I am pretty sure it is the virus. I have both program files.

#8 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:44 PM

Btw, how am I going to be able to recover all of that lost harddrive space after I delete the virus?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:09 PM

Download the fix from Sophos and use that to remove the virus. It will clean everything. The Sophos page does not mention anything about this worm filling a hard drive so perhaps you have a separate problem.

What anti-virus program do you use? Do you have any disk cleaning utilities?

Edited by Leurgy, 18 March 2005 - 08:11 PM.

#10 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

Right now, I am using norton. The only disk cleaning utility I have is the windows one. Could I use that to get rid of the files?

#11 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:04 PM

How big are the 'cluster' sizes?
If youve got them set at 32kb that would explain the rapid disappearence of space too.
Better set them to 4Kb. (default in XP)
Is your file system FAT32? Consider converting to NTFS
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/fatntfs.php

Sim

#12 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:39 PM

it is ntfs. how would changing the cluster sizes help me; wouldn't the space still disappear?

#13 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:44 PM

Ok, i ran rescueme with sophos. My harddrive is still using up space, and vsmon.exe (not vsmons.exe) will not shutdown, and is using up must of my cpu. What do I do now?

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

and vsmon.exe (not vsmons.exe) will not shutdown

Thats ZoneAlarm. Good luck trying to stop that and if you do it may lock your browser from the internet. You could uninstall it and use Kerio or Sygate for a firewall. If you find your browser stops working find and delete vsdata95.vxd.

To clean up those excess files use Ccleaner. Its much more effective than Windows Disk Cleanup.

#15 volta06

volta06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

Ok, I will do that. I don't know why it is messing my pc up, though. I have used it successfully for awhile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users