Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D Drive Content Replaced With A Kdb Folder?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 siewpao

siewpao

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

Hey guys i have a serious problem. My hard drive has 2 partition C and D. C is where all the application is and D is where i keep all my songs and movies.
Just recently, when i tried to access my D drive, to my surprise there was only 1 folder. A KDB folder. Inside this folder there are a files with .box and .bix. All my songs were no where to be seen.

I tried scanning my pc for virus but nothing. The only results i got from AVG is 2 files changed::shell 32 (C:Windows/system32/shell32.dll) and host (C:Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts).

My question is ..Is this KDB folder a virus??

How do i get back my old files???

If i format my C drive, will my D drives files magically come back???

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi is this an Xp or a Vista system?
Have just recently installed or updated something? you may need to remove it and do it again.

Have you tried using Windows System Restore to a point before this occurred?

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Windows Vista System Restore Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 siewpao

siewpao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

My system is running on XP pro sp2. I have already tried using system restore but its still the same. My D drive is still the same.
What can I do??

Edited by siewpao, 18 March 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hello again, First a full format will remove everything, a repair install should not erase the files. Now I'm not certain that this would magically restore them either. I actually feel that this is not a malware issue. KDB may be some Kernel Debugger or something. Not my area.
Is this an XP machine,as I can move this topic to the proper forum for others more adept at this to see.

Edited by boopme, 19 March 2008 - 09:30 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 siewpao

siewpao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:13 AM

My pc is running on XP. If you say that this KDB folder is a Kernel Debugging thing, but why is the size of this KDB folder the same as my music folder which is 40 GB. Advise needed.........

Edited by siewpao, 20 March 2008 - 02:14 AM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

Hello siewpao,

I see that you have posted an HJT log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137773/shell32dll-file-changed/ DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is EXTREMELY busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response by, let's say, April 8 add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users