Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Email Application Is?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 seitsub

seitsub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

What is the BEST Email out there 2 use?

thanks alot

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:33 PM

The email address you get from your ISP and Outlook or Outlook Express is what I have always used and I have never had a problem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

An alternative, especially if you might be considering switching your ISP or want easy access from any computer anywhere is to use Yahoo. I've been with them for many years without incident. Totally free and lots of features. You can easily setup multiple accounts and use one of them for any online shopping, blog registrations, etc. and in that way the spam will tend to accumulate there and not on the other account(s) you use for personal communication. Near as I can tell, Yahoo has some pretty good spam-blocking capabilities and you can easily block specific addresses if you need to.

Make Yahoo your home page and at startup you'll get notice of any unread mail, your local weather forecast (after you give it your ZIP Code), news headlines and, yeah, a bunch of advertising which I find easy to ignore. There are probably many similar sites (Hotmail?) but it's likely that Yahoo is there for the long haul.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 seitsub

seitsub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:
I will look in2 later 2 day.

Have A Nice Relaxing Sunday

:flowers:

#5 seitsub

seitsub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

In Outlook Express:
I have to keep deleting and blocking the same email messages over and over again..
I thought when U blocked email and it says that it will block all messages from these individuals but I have 2 keep doing the same thing everyday?

And what is up when U get a email that just has the envelope? Nothing else no name,date,nothing... :thumbsup:
And when U go 2 Block sender it states that it can not block.... :flowers:

#6 cyberfilly

cyberfilly

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

Hey seitsub depending on what Ya want it for 2 others are gmail (im sure most of know about it lol)
and
www.mail2world.com
I use it for my "garbage mail" and other than being down for short times for updates its been quite reliable and I have used it from all over Canada
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:40 AM

I have to keep deleting and blocking the same email messages over and over again..

And when U go 2 Block sender it states that it can not block....

In Outlook go to Message>Create rule from mesage and create a new mail rule and have it deleted from the server if you wish. That way it won't get to your Inbox. An alternative would be a program like Mailwasher in conjunction with OE. They have a free trial available.

And what is up when U get a email that just has the envelope? Nothing else no name,date,nothing...

That is a potential virus or someone just looking for a valid email address to spam. If you don't open those, but just delete them they should stop. Opening them can report the fact that the email address is good. To see who sent that so you can create a rule just right click and select properties. In the message source you will find the sending email address.

An advantage of using the email address provided by your ISP is that it looks much more professional for use on resumes etc than having some generic yahoo or hotmail or whatever address.

Most if not all ISP's will let you check your email from any computer using their web based interface that is accessed by logging in to your ISP's website with your normal user name and password.

Are you using the ISP email address or a web based address like hotmail? If you are using the ISP's address you shouldn't be getting any spam if you just began using it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 seitsub

seitsub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:30 PM

With most ISPs/mail clients, you have two options, actually, to create filtres. The best place to stop unwanted Email is right at the service itself (Yahoo, or Hotmail, for example, have filters). The next best is to use your resident Email reader application to set these up, though they will go through the download process before they are moved to your Delete folder.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:41 PM

I was having a problem with emails that weren't for me and using Outlook I was able to create a rule that now deletes them from the server and they do not get downloaded to my machine.

#11 seitsub

seitsub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

Yes~ Thank U
I followed yr instructions~ If there were 20 emails there should have been 20 Rules correct?

I should B able 2 to tell the next time email is checked right?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:58 AM

If there were 20 emails there should have been 20 Rules correct?

Not neccessarily, it depends on the rule and the emails you are trying to stop. For instance, if you create a rule to delete from the server all email messages from joe blow@ whatever.com you only need to create that one rule even if you have 20 email messages in your in box from joeblow at that time. Next time you check your mail those messages will be deleted from your ISP's server so you won't even be aware that they were sent to you. However if you create a rule to delete emails that contain specific words (say, potato, tomato and cucumber cause you don't want emails about vegetables :thumbsup: ) then you would need to create a specific rule about each vegetable, thereby creating three rules. If you choose to delete them they will be downloaded but go to your deleted items folder where you could review them before deleting them permanently.

At any time you can review the rules you have created by going to Tools>Message rules>Mail. They can be modified and created there too.

I should B able 2 to tell the next time email is checked right?

You will be able to tell only because you don't receive in your inbox those emails that you have created rules for. In that regard it tends to work silently inasmuch as you don't get things so its not really noticeable other than the fact the volume of mail goes down.

Most ISP's, including mine, allow you to check your email with the ISP address (in my case its @Rogers.com) on their website. So lets say I don't want to get any more emails from seitsub ( :flowers: ) to my inbox but I want to know if he is sending me email. In Outlook I create a rule to not download emails from him from the server. Every now and then I can log in Rogers.com's website with my normal user name and password and I can view those emails that seitsub sent me but were not downloaded from the server and I can delete them from there as they will be held there for me to check.

#13 seitsub

seitsub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Thank you
Ok I did everything fine. ~But when I go in2 the Mailwasher
and It asks "2 stop my Auto Check for new emails"
# 2~ I do not C a Internet Email Tab~
And I do this from within The O Express application right?

Outlook
Complete the following steps to disable automatic email checking.
Step
1 Select Tools > Options from the main menu
2 [color="red"] Select the Internet Email tab.
(Stuck Here #2)
3 Deselect the Check my local network connections for new mail every ( ) minute(s) option.

Edited by seitsub, 21 March 2005 - 07:19 PM.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

Select the Internet Email tab. (Stuck Here #2)

That refers to Outlook, as opposed to Outlook Express. Outlook has more features.

Deselect the Check my local network connections for new mail every ( ) minute(s) option.

That should do what you need.

I haven't used Mailwasher for a long time. Maybe you could check their website and look at the FAQ's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users