Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Files Between Xp Desk Computer And Laptop Vista Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deucextre

deucextre

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:37 AM

Hi. can anyone help me share files between my two computers. i would like to play my music or my videos from my main computer on my laptop. i've changed the workgroup name on both computers to match but still can't find my PC on my laptop in the network center. is there something else i'm missing? or maybe because one is vista and one is XP?
(i use a wireless connection for the internet on both computers from my brothers room)

Edited by deucextre, 18 March 2008 - 03:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

Networking a vista and xp machine together are easier said than done, only because of the different way vista handles network shares.

Check these links:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

It works for me on my Xp and Vista machines but I really don't remember how I did it. I just turned on sharing on my xp AND vista machines and it seems to work just fine...

Sorry if I can't be more help to ya
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users