Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Installed Me

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wittguy

wittguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

I just had a recent crash, so installed ME on a computer that had xp before... it installed okay, but my 80 gig hard drive is now merely 2 gigs... I seen that sometimes it automatically partitions itself into 2gig partitions, is there anyway to get back the rest? not much I can do w/ 2 gigs of space..... Please any help would be great... I've been racking my brain over this one... spent two weeks searching for right drivers, wondering if I should stop wasting my time if I cannot get my harddrive size back..
thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to BC wittguy.

Well if you don't know what partitions you had on the drive before then I would use a bootable floppy with Fdisk on it. Boot it up with the floppy inserted and the boot sequence set to read the floppy first then just type in Fdisk and follow the instructions. There you can check what partitions you have and delete them. The you would have to reinstall WinME again.

I install WinME just before Christmas it was the biggest load of s*** that M$ have produced but if you are happy thats all that matters.

I seen that sometimes it automatically partitions itself into 2gig partitions,

I've never know this unless you have some sort of virus on it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 18 March 2008 - 04:55 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

It appears you have installed WinME on a FAT partition, rather than FAT32. FAT's maximum size is 2GB. Im not sure ME's installer will create volumes in FAT32....

NTFS (Windows XP's default file system) which supports huge volumes, is not available on WinME.

Finally, you should note that ALL variants of FAT (16 and 32), which are all ME supports, do not support single files larger than 4GB. This can cause a problem, if, for example, you are burning DVDs, editing video, etc, because dvd images are commonly 4.7GB or 9.7GB.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users