Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Physical Memory Causing Laptop To Run Slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deucextre

deucextre

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hi any help would be appreciated. my toshiba laptop is running very slow nowadays. its been like this for awhile. 6-7 months. i haven't been using it because i haven't had the need (i mainly use my home pc) but now i need it for school.
i looked up in my task manager and see the available physical memory is very low. about 65000 available, and 514096 total.
this problem started when i wasn't able to login with my administrator account 7 months ago when the problem happened. i receieved a message "windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporrary profile"so it loaded in safe mode and i've been unable to access that account since.

i've checked the start up programs list on this site to see if i can disable any programs i don't need but the problem is still there. does anybody know whats wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

How full is the hard drive?
Open' My Computer' mouse over the drive and see what it says.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

The computer will put data into virtual memory when it runs out of room in physical memory.

How much ram do you have? How many applications are running, check to see how much memory is being used at any given time.

You are saying that Windows is just logging you into the default profile? It cannot load the administrator profile? Sounds like it is time for a repair installation or just a total re-installation. It is really tough to diagnose problems, especially memory allocations if we are not sure that Windows is even running properly in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users