Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Monitor, Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi, I get eyestrain from trying to read the small text of some games and simulations that only run in 1024x768 on my old 16"monitor so the only remedy is to buy a bigger monitor.
I'm not too PC-literate and wonder if you can help me on a few points -

1 - How are monitors measured, diagonally? Mine is 16" diagonally (I measured it) but when I bought it several years ago the shop said it was 17" and I took their word for it, did they fleece me or what?

2 - I want a new one of at least 22" diagonal, a no-frills job as cheap as I can get it, even second-hand would do, so are there any technical specs or pitfalls I need to look out for, so that I can tell the shop what I want, rather than them trying to tell me?

3 - Can you give me a rough idea of how much I should be looking to spend, tops?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Caledo

Caledo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well, if you buy a bigger monitor, that text is only going to get smaller because of the higher resolutions...

As to your first question, unless the monitor has a measurement i.e. "22" widescreen" then yes, it is measured diagonally.

As to the second, what are you using the PC for? There are high-refresh rate monitors for gaming, and regular monitors.

As to the third, monitors 22" and up - widescreen or no - are going to cost you. The lowest priced 22" LCD on NewEgg is $219.

Edited by Caledo, 17 March 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

LCD? Can't I have a CRT? Which are cheaper?
I want it for gaming and flight sims mostly.
I'm playing Advanced Tactics at 1024 x 768 on my current small monitor because that's the only res the game will play at, and it strains my eyes.
Surely playing it at 1024 x 768 on a bigger monitor will give bigger text?

#4 boris003

boris003

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

Spammers posting. Deleted content.

This is a warning to all!

Edited by KoanYorel, 18 March 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

You don't have to use the resolution you are using.

If you want bigger print onscreen, you must go to a lower resolution...no matter how large the screen is or is not.

Louis

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

You don't have to use the resolution you are using.
If you want bigger print onscreen, you must go to a lower resolution...no matter how large the screen is or is not.

Roger that, 800 x 600 is fine on my small monitor, but more and more games/ sims nowadays will only run in 1024 x 768 minimum, they won't run in 800 x 600.

PS - I forgot to mention I'm a jobseeker and can't afford a super-duper pricey mon..

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Well...your personal situation is your own to deal with...but it sounds to me like you want to have toys that you cannot afford.

I'm not a gamer and I would not think of prioritizing a new monitor, computer or whatever...unless I could afford it.

Of course, you can always take your chances at eBay if new retail monitors are considered out of reach...and Google is still your friend for research purposes.

Louis

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

CRT monitors are measured diagonally across the glass envelope of the CRT, so a 17" monitor will typically show about 16.2" viewable area. LCDs are specified by viewable area, so are slightly "larger" than the same size specification CRT.

Most monitor manufacturers have ceased CRT production as LCDs have taken over. Sony for example reduced to only producing a 22" and has not had a CRT monitor available at all for some time now. The exceptions will be low budget chinese made units and high specification professional units for graphic design, where truer color representation still scores.

The fast LCDs (4mS and below) work well for gaming, but most are now widescreen format, which is not helpful for fixed 1024x768 resolution games. It's a 4:3 aspect ratio resolution, and even typical 19" LCDs are not a perfect match there, as they're 5:4 aspect ratio. Circles are not perfectly round etc.

You may be lucky enough to find a good used 22" CRT monitor, but it will be bulky and heavy...

Do you know anyone with a 19" 5:4 LCD screen you could borrow for a while to experiment with? That would give you 3" more diagonal screen size than your present one.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

If you annoyed by eye strain, an LCD's much easier on the eyes. I may be lucky with Ebay, but make sure to do some research, you don't want some terrible rip off chinese monitor that will break in a couple months.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

There are a few outfits in my area that have 19 and 21 in CRT monitors gently used. I have been told they can be had for less than $50.00. I haven't had time to research this my self. I have had in the past a 21 in CRT monitor and they are ABSOLUTELY HUGE. The only thing that changes with the size of the monitor is the actual screen area. When your talking about screen resolution 1024x768 this is the amount of pixels in Columns and rows that make up the picture. To confuse you even more you can read this article on wikipedia. In short the higher the resolution the smaller and tighter together the pixels are thus creating smaller writing and crisper pictures. Also remember when buying a CRT monitor off Ebay they are quite heavy and shipping will not be cheap.

Edit: The best recommendation is to go to a retailer and actually look at the monitors and find one you like at the resolution you need. Your eyes are the best judge.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 March 2008 - 04:18 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

I agree.

I have to wear two pair of glasses. Because I look at a computer monitor 12+ hours every day and have done so for the past 25 years. Mom always told me when I was a kid that sitting so close to the TV will ruin my eyes.
She obviously never heard of computer monitors at the time!

If you want a really good monitor get a Sony.
They have the best picture quality by far!
My last 17 inch CRT Sony lasted for 15 years.

I replaced my monitor two years ago with a 19 flat Sony.
Its hard to find and a little pricey. But it is superior quality!

Look at any Sony monitor or television next to any other brand.
You will see the difference.

Do it right the first time.
Then you are done

As far as second best, that would be Mag Innovisions IMO

Dont buy junk!
Remember you get what you pay for!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

Mag Innovision.... I don't know about that. I had a nice 19" LCD from them, beatiful picture, slow response rate but I didn't notice the so called "ghosting" in game. Although it suddenly "died" after a year of sevice. For a week before dying it was giving me "white outs" whre the screen just bleaches white and could only be fixed by repeated turning off and on.

Just saying my experiance with them sucked. I couldn't find any help from them, emailed them, just wanted to get it fixed. It's currently residing in my basement waiting for lightning to strike my house and fix it. :thumbsup:
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

I am currently using a MAG Innovision 17in CRT and it looks better then both of the other monitors I have. Although the others aren't that great (1 is an E-machine monitor the other is an old Dell).
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

Okay guys i'm trying to follow what you're saying, but maybe I should have posted this pic earlier to illustrate what i'm having trouble understanding, I mocked it up with Paint -
The pic on the left is perfect, note the circle is circular.
But on the widescreen on the right, surely the same pic will be unrealistically stretched out?
Look how the circle is no longer circular.
Are you telling me my games and flight sims will be crazily stretched out just like that?

Posted Image

#15 Corie

Corie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

Acer 22"

I just got that one and I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users