Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE controller blues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deadman

Deadman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

I had four drives. Four 80Gig Western Digital drives. Three are paritioned as a single drive (file storage), the fourth works alone as the primary master drive (OS, progs, ect). All four are hooked up through a FastTrak TX2 IDE Controller.

Running low on space, I recently purchased a Maxtor 250Gig drive, and hooked it up. Ended up freezing a bootup contstantly from then on (wither the Maxtor was hooked up or not) so I ended up having to install the OS on the Maxtor and using that as a primary master. However, now my drive array has disappeared. The IDE controller, by the way, had no drivers, manuals, or such.

In the past when I first bought the IDE controller, I was never able to get drives on the controller and drives working on the motherboard to work simotaniously. Since I only had four drives at the time, I simply hooked up my main drive with the other three on the IDE controller, saved me alot of time trouble shooting. Now that I have a fifth drive, I have no choice but to go through trying to get the damn thing working properly.

The first thing I tried doing was updating the motherboard driver, but to my distress I lost the driver CD and the manual. I've tried checking the motherboard, going as far as Googling every single string on numbers, letters, or chip brands, but to no avail. I've even tried running some diagnostic programs like EVEREST Home Edition, but all it can give me is the BIOS serial/Motherboard ID (which is, by the way, 02/27/2004-i845PV-ITE871-6A69VD42C-00).

The only other hint I can give is the brand is I remember the brand is a 3-letter word (DFI or MSI?) and I vaugely remember that the model is PXPX00 or something similar. The X's represent characters I can't remember.

Even if I could find the correct drivers for the motherboard and IDE controller BIOS, I'm not sure how to install them. Both require that you put them in a hard disk drive during bootup, which I don't have on this PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:46 PM

Both require that you put them in a hard disk drive during bootup, which I don't have on this PC.

Not sure what that means.

Have you checked to be sure that both IDE Controllers are enabled in the bios?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Deadman

Deadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:19 AM

I meant that on the installation instructions on the updates of both the motherboard and IDE controller BIOS, it requires you to put it on a hard disk drive for installation during bootup. I do not have a hard disk drive, however.

Yes, the IDE controller BIOS is fine. During bootup I get the 'FastTrak Tx2 Functional' message. Also, I haven't changed the BIOS settings at all (they are at the same settings as when the IDE controller was still working, before I got my new drive).

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:31 AM

What is your OS? What is the model number of the new drive? You need to bring this thing back to square one to sort this out. How did you install the OS on the new drive? Did you do that in the problem machine or on another machine?

Remove the controller card and disconnect the original four drives. Hook up the drive with the OS to IDE1. Go into the bios, auto-detect the drive and reset the defaults. Boot up and run Belarc Advisor. It will fit on a floppy and might tell you the make and model of the mobo.

I do not have a hard disk drive, however

I thought you had 5 of them, including 2 with an OS.

Is this your Promise card? There is a FastTrak 100 TX2 IDE Controller and a FastTrak 100 TX2 IDE Controller Pro.

Did you enable Raid 0 in the bios?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:42 AM

Just an Idea but

I do not have a hard disk drive, however

They might mean Floppy disk.

#6 Deadman

Deadman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:32 PM

Yes, floppy disk. For some reason I keep thinking those old 5 1/2 disks are floppy disks because they're floppy, and that 3 1/2 disk are hard disks because they're hard.

Both require you copy the drivers/updates to a FLOPPY disk drive and then install them during boot-up (boot disk). Is there any other way to install it if I don't have a floppy drive? Perhaps copy the data to CD and set CD has first boot device?

IDE Controller: FastTrak 100 TX2

I installed the OS (Windows XP Home, SP1) on the problem PC. Since I installed it on the Maxtor (Maxtor 250GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-133), my other drives are no longer detected. Not sure on model # of new drive. Besides the clear plastic box it only came with a sheet of paper with the logo, and the above printed on it. No warranty, manual, cables, or anything else.

On another note, in the case I can't get the damn thing working, if I take appart the RAID 0 array, would any files be salvageable or would they be basically useless?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

Perhaps copy the data to CD and set CD has first boot device?

That should work.

if I take appart the RAID 0 array, would any files be salvageable or would they be basically useless?

You could access them by slaving one to the Maxtor, and setting another two as secondary master and slave. But that still leaves two. If you can install the promise card drivers with a bootable CD though you should be set to go.

#8 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

Sorry to be butting in again.

Putting it on a CD then booting to the CD "Could" in a technical aspect work there is some problems with that however.
1. the BIOS Update package would have to be not configured to use the standard A:\ (Not many are like this as it has been the standard for quite sometime to use A:\)
2. If something goes wrong there is NO BACKUP! (you could damage your BIOS for good)
3. if you are running the Raid Onboard this could work but if you are running it from a IDE Card your looking in wrong area. (Looks to me this is way you have it)

K Now about your Raid setup we have a small to huge Problem!

Raid0 = Stripping in Blocks
Raid1 = Mirroring
Raid2 = Stripping in Bits
Raid3 = Raid2 with Parity - on one Drive
Raid4 = Raid0 with Parity - on one Drive
Raid5 = Raid0 with Parity - on all Drives
K with that said if you break the raid 0 chain you ruin both hard drives data as the information is written in Increments on each disk like:
2 Hard Drives
File you are saving is 248KB
D0 64KB D1 64KB D0 60KB D1 60KB
Raid0 has no Fault Tolerance if you remove D1 from that raid configuration you'll only be left with:
D0 64KB D0 60KB = a Segmented 124KB Unreadable File

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users