Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer....software Problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LiveLarge

LiveLarge

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.
Vista 32 bit
All anti virus (McAfee '07)/spyware (AdAware'07, and SpyBot S&D) programs are up to date and ran regularly

I do, on almost a daily basis, find and remove more than 50 tracking cookies with AdAware and SpyBot

My laptop is taking longer to start up, shud down, and download video and images

I really just want my fast laptop back

Here is a list of my running processes

Posted Image

Any help would be great.

Oops here is the rest of the list.
Posted Image

Edited by LiveLarge, 17 March 2008 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

that's a known bug with catalyst drivers (control center)

later versions running off dot net 3?

with McAfee '07 and vista there's not a lot of resources left

I just use the display drivers myself and stay away from that durn control center, windows does everything I want
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Hi LiveLarge,

I see you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.

I apologize, LiveLarge and DaChew, my mistake for thinking the HJT log was for this computer.

Thanx for bringing it to my attention. :thumbsup:

Edited by TMacK, 18 March 2008 - 06:28 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 LiveLarge

LiveLarge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

Thanks TMacK. It is all good. I should have made it clear that this issue was for a different computer. :trumpet:

I deleted the driver and reloaded the latest version from the ATI website. I no longer have three CLI.exe processes running on start up.......In fact I don't have any CLI.exe processes running now. :inlove: My driver seems to be working as it is meant to. :flowers: I hope this doesn't come back to bite me. :thumbsup:

I have WinPatrol. When you say that windows does what you want does that mean this program is not needed? I was just hoping to keep the number of processes running on startup under control. Also, don't viruses and worms set themselves to run on start up? I guess it is time to find a tutorial for WinPatrol.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

cli lasted a few days on my computer, haven't missed it in 2 years

You can't have a secure safe fast computer, unfortunately they don't coexist. The only tool that doesn't slow your computer down is the one sitting on your shoulders.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

too many Running processes and programs with not that much memory can freeze your computer. IF you have more than two anti-malware programs then they slow down the computer alot. Now you plan to use another one... I don't think thats going to make your computer faster ;O Try installing cleaning programs like CCleaner, cleanup assitant, Clean disk security, and wise disk cleaner. then remove unneeded file with high overwrite. Then remove Junk and cookies. Also AdAware'07 isn't any help use spyware doctor from the google pack on google then more then even more, scroll down then click on google pack, select spyware doctor. (don't install it from official site or you can't remove malware). Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by ///, 23 March 2008 - 08:41 PM.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

Bleeping Computer doesn't recommend the use of Registry Cleaners.
Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications and their potential for harming your OS far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance.

There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.
Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Further reading: XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 LiveLarge

LiveLarge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

Thanks TMack. I had already decided that I don't know enough to be able to use registry cleaners safely but it is good to hear it from those in the know that in most cases, not only do they not help they can do serious harm. It seems that there are many throwing advice around on the net......Most going off of what some anonymous poster told them. I have a friend that maintains the college computers. I find myself running things by him a lot. I just wish his car would break down so I could have him fix my computer while I fix the car. :trumpet: Don't want to interrupt him on D&D, EverQuest, or W.O.W. night. :thumbsup: Seems like every night. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users