Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arrgggggg No Sound

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn7103

Glenn7103

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Well I have an HP pav dv1600. Its running XP. For whatever reason it will only play sound through the SPDIF jack. The speakers do not work at all. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Are you using Onboard sound or an add on card? What kind of speakers are you using?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Glenn7103

Glenn7103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

All stock items. They are altec lansing if that helps. I have a feeling that the sound card does not load up at startup. I have no idea how to look for it though

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

Go into your control panel, under System click on the hardware tab then on Device manager click the sound and video game controllers. Look for any yellow exclamation marks.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Glenn7103

Glenn7103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

I have a yellow exclamation mark next to my sound blast deive. Its says Cannot start (code 10). I tried uninstall/ reinstall and still have a problem.

Thanks for all the help guys<-------- Looking back it may seem as if I said this sarcastically.. In fact I am appreciative of your the support.

Edited by Glenn7103, 18 March 2008 - 12:42 AM.

#6 Glenn7103

Glenn7103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

Sorry but I would like to bump this. /\

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Sorry For the delay I have been REALLY busy at work, allot of overtime this week. I found this at Microsoft Support

Code 10

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message: This device cannot start. (Code 10) Recommended resolution

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

For more information about Code 10-related errors , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 943104 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/) Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates on Windows XP-based computer

Try that and post back with your results.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 Glenn7103

Glenn7103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Sneaky....

Update Driver: It says I am running the must up to date driver.

Windows TroubleShoot: Suggests I uninstall and reinstall...... Exact same problem after reinstall

The sound card is a soundblaster 16. According to their website this device is no longer supported. I cannot find any drivers etc.

Unless someone can see what I am missing, it sounds (pun intended) like I need a new sound card. I would rather not do that for $$ reasons and that I have no idea how to even do that.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

After Looking up your computer I discoverd its a laptop. Does your Headphone port work? Line out port?

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 Glenn7103

Glenn7103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

I am only getting sound through my SPDIF (not sure what that means) Port.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

SPDIF Sony Phillips Digital Interface. What are you conneting to this port speakers, DA (digital to analog) converter, Home theater system ? Are you using TOS link (Fiberoptic) or Coax (looks like an RCA plug). Are the other ports turned on or active when the Digital out is activated? I looked up the manual for the model you listed and it doesn't show an SPDIF jack only the Audio Out jack (speakers, headphones), Audio In (Microphone) and it list a S-video out jack. Link To manual HP PAV DV1600? Is that the manual for the model you have?

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 Glenn7103

Glenn7103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

No, that is a different model ( I have a DV6000 not sure where that "1" came from on my first post) however the layout of my input/output audio jacks are exact. Looking at page 12 of that manual you can see the three jacks. The jack to the far right is the only one that works. This jack may be called "headphone out 2". Pplugign headphones to that jack is only way I can get audio. The volume is controlable form both windows taskbar and my keyboard control. The mute button works as well. BTW I do have a yellow exclamation next to the driver in my hardware manager

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

In your hardware manager select the driver that has the yellow exclamation mark next to it and try and update it. If this doesn't work delete the entry and let windows re-install the hardware. Make sure to have your restore CD's handy or download the drivers from HP. See if that works. Post back with your results.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users