Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Norton Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Benji69T

Benji69T

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I wanted to replace Norton Antivirus with AVG Antivirus. I found that Norton couldn't be un-installed so I decided to manually delete its folders and files from my system. I later ran Registry Mechanic and Registry Booster to clean up the mess. I thought that the app had been completely deleted. Then I installed AOL's Active Security Monitor to check my PC's status and it indicated that I had two antivirus programs running on my PC when I thought that I had only AVG. 'Hijack This' confirmed this by displaying the missing files needed by Symantec. Here they are: ccEvtMgr, ccSetMgr, CLTNetCnService, ISPwdSvc and SymAppCore. When I asked Hijack This to delete these files it responded that they were enabled and couldn't be deleted. This is where I need help as I want my computer to run only one antivirus program. Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hello Benji69T and welcome to BC :flowers:

Sorry about the delayed response. The HJT forum is EXTREMELY busy right now. Because you didn't post a log, I have moved your post to a forum where you may receive assistance sooner.

I'm curious: Why were you unable to uninstall Symantec to begin with? Did you shut down the program before you tried to uninstall it? If not, that would have been the reason you couldn't uninstall it. In any case, there is a removal tool for this program.

Please read this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=273334 for directions on where to get the tool and how to use it. Let us know how it works out.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users