Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Using Ext. Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

Okay so I bought a new computer recently that uses Vista, and enclosed my old computer's hard drive and the enclosure said that it was Vista compatible but I installed the driver but it doesn't appear when I try to access it. Can someone help plz?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

Have you looked in Disk Management for the hard drive? Go to Start and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Have you looked in Device Manager to make sure that the USB (I presume) device is recognized? Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Are you sure that the enclosure has enough power to run the drive? If it's not a laptop drive, you'll need an external power source to make it function (and some laptop drives will require this also - generally any that require more than 500 mA of current).

Are you sure that the drive is OK?

Have you switched the jumpers on the drive (if it's an IDE drive, SATA drive jumpers won't need to be moved)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

I checked Dev. Mgt and it did appear under the USB but it still doesnt show up
It's a laptop drive and the enclosure came with a cord for power to run to it.
The drive should be okay. It had a Start-up error but I've had one do that before and it still worked once enclosed

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

Check in Disk Management - go to Start and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Scroll down to the device and see if it's got the same drive letter as another device - if so, change it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sir_Spectre87

Sir_Spectre87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

It doesn't appear when I run that :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users