Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Down For Everyone Or Just Me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

Here's a useful link I found via Lifehacker. Guys come here all the time saying a specific website isn't working. Supposedly this website will tell you if the site is down or if it's just your system. Supposedly it will even tell you what is wrong with your computer. Maybe it works. It can't hurt to try it.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the site.

Supposedly it will even tell you what is wrong with your computer.

How?

#3 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:55 AM

I dunno. That's what it said on Lifehacker. That's why I said supposedly.

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

Okay.

Just been trying to figure out how!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

From what I can figure out from the source code - it just goes and looks at the site. If it can get there, then you're having problems. If it can't get there, then it returns the message that the site is down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 althea008

althea008

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for that site. i will check it out and see the results. Ive never heard of Lifehacker before but its pretty good to know that we can find easily what's going on our computer. thanks for the information.

#7 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

Lifehacker is one of several tech tip oriented sites that I get via RSS. They get tips from all over. IIRC, this tip came from Download Squad.

http://www.lifehacker.com/

#8 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

It would seem to me that if you can access other web sites but not "XYZ.com", then the problem is on their end and not a [your]computer issue. If your computer is the issue then how would this site tell you since your computer is the issue. The only other thing I can think of off hand is that you've enable a filter of some kind that is blocking it.

Another quick way to know if a site is up (working) is to ping it. In a DOS window type "ping (DNS)" (without the quotes), DNS is the name of the site EX: yahoo.com. Keep in mind that some sites (devices) block ping requests.
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users