Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh No!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

I've been hearing alot of chatter of XP being discontinued soon within the next 2-4 weeks. I wasn't really all that sure if it was discontinued yet or not.

I don't want to use Vista.... :'(

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 17 March 2008 - 08:56 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:17 AM

The following is an excerpt from an article in infopackets windows newsletter.

"Retailers and the major computer makers got the ok from Microsoft to sell all versions of Windows XP until it's discontinued June 30, 2008 with the exception of the XP Starter Edition (which isn't available in the United States) which will sell until June 30, 2010. Smaller system builders will still be allowed to sell Windows XP until January 20, 2009. At least, that's the plan for now."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

People that don't want to be forced into using an "operating system" as bad a s Vista should start emailing M$.

Yesterday.

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:26 AM

You will still be able to get windows XP it may just be that it involves a bit of searching to find in the future.
The quote only states retailers and makor companies.

Its not pushing you into buying vista, if you already have XP installed then its not going to magically uninstall overnight, just make sure you keep a copy of your activation key incase you ever need to reinstall.

The majority of new computers now come with vista installed, and most PC builders if doing XP installs have there own copys and the activation keys

- Edited to bring into line with forum rules -

Edited by Emu1616, 18 March 2008 - 01:25 PM.
Content edit RE illegal activity

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

The majority of new computers now come with vista installed...

And that's the problem. M$ is trying to force everyone buying a new computer to take their trash OS or nothing. And how many retailers do you think there are that will sell you a machine with an empty hard drive and a copy of XP for the same price as they would one with Vista installed? None, that's how many. I need a new computer, and it's starting to look like I'm going to have to buy it in parts, put it together, and then see if I can find a bootleg copy of XP somewhere so I can get the thing working!!

The last good version of Windows M$ produced was '95. Because DOS was still there. Not the skeleton version you get now, but the full-blown OS - which Windows ran under.

Edited by MattV, 18 March 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

"Retailers and the major computer makers got the ok from Microsoft to sell all versions of Windows XP until it's discontinued June 30, 2008

Is there not still time before june 30th to buy a copy of XP??? id say 3months is long enough to save up for it at least if needs be.
You will be able to buy a PC from smaller retailers with XP installed for the same price or if not without a OS installed at all and then you can use the other method you commented on.

Building your own can be keeping overall anyways!

Edited by Emu1616, 19 March 2008 - 08:18 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users