Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Will Not Complete

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 missmuffit47

missmuffit47

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

When I try to run a search it never finishes, just goes on, and on, and on, last attempt was 2 hours in when I had to close it down, story was same yesterday will not finish the search scan.

Can anyone advise me please? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

Have you tried running sfc /scannow to replace possible damaged/missing system files?

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#3 missmuffit47

missmuffit47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

Thanks hamluis
I tried sfc /scannow after reading your reply, a black window flashed on screen for a moment and was gone, I did that twice same thing happend.
Do you know why this happened, or a website where I can get help?

I had run chkdsk (dont know if that would help) but it found nothing.
Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

Yes, I do :flowers:.

When you type Start/Run and enter sfc /scannow, that window appears momentarily. That's just the command window opening and closing to execute the command.

At the same time, a window opens on the Task Bar, orange in color, headed Windows File Protection. If you just click on it, follow instructions, all will be well.

I think this threw me the first time I ran sfc /scannow :thumbsup:.

And...when you run chkdsk without any additional symbols, all it does is run in read mode. You have to run either chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f to get anything repaired. The chkdsk /r command also includes the chkdsk /f functions.

Louis

#5 missmuffit47

missmuffit47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Louis
I get no window in task bar , nothing at all.
I did notice when I ran chkdsk, it said it was read only. If i run chkdsk /f will that help me?
Sorry if I seem stupid , but Im a novice with PC's

#6 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

yes that will help
and after you do
chkdsk /f it will ask if you want to do it on restart say yes then restart your computer

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

If you were to wait, lets say, 4 hours? Do you think it may finish the search. I was thinking you might have to many files on your Hard Drive :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users