Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donga11

donga11

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:51 AM

Hi all. I should go and buy a new computer i know but my old TIME 500 meg pentium 111 with a 17 gig HD and 256 MEM runs ok just for surfing. Im not into games so my 16 MEG VID card works ok. I bought it back in 1999.
What im wondering is could there be anyway of fine tuning it. for instance could there be a host of duplicate files to free up HDD space.
MSconfig is not so easy to use as i dont know what should be running and what not.
I would like to get a few more years out of it if possible so any advice on how to keep the old girl running would be great.
Cheers to all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

You didn't mention what OS, so I'm assuming XP. Running Disk Clean Up and Disk Defragmenter would certainly help. MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting tool. I'd try Codestuff Starter. Not quite as intimidating as Autoruns
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

try wise disk cleaner! and ccleaner, cleanup assistant and other tools, try first what garmanma said. I'd sell that computer on Ebay or recycle or upgrade it. But if you want to keep it good for you :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users