Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Startup Disc Problems

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Stormer0719

Stormer0719

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hello, I'm trying to get rid of that malwarecrush program and i ran someones link to a removal tool. Anyways. after it was all done the computer restarted and now its saying i need to reinstall the C:\windows\system32\hal.dll file well anyways I got the file off my computer put it on a startup disk i created. I grew up with dos and understand how to use it and all, however I never learned to edit the autoexec.bat stuff. So to make a long story short I need to know what to type to get my startup disc to recognize that there is a C:\ drive.

.......easy question for those who know it. I'd be much appreciated for any help i get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:13 AM

Can you boot XP or does it stop. If you can boot Windows, try running the SFC (System File Checker) to fix and corrupt or missing system files (in this case hal.dll) A tutorial on how to use it can be found here.

Regards,
David.

#3 Stormer0719

Stormer0719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:49 AM

I can't boot windows on that machine. I have the file its wanting on a disk. I cant get to the C: drive to copy it to the c:\windows\system32 dirrectory.

Closest i have gotten yet is by useing winxp cd and its starts up its installation thing. I hit R for recovery mode it boots me to C:\ i type copy a:\hal.dll C:\windows\system32 and the BEEP computer says access denied! ARG WHY

my boot menu on the computer (hitting f8 when restarting) DOESN't have a command prompt only option ither. stupid thing only has safe mode with command prompt......this ends in it saying the same thing. the hal.dll file is missing or corrupt and then it gets me to restart the computer.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:01 AM

Have you tried running SFC from the safe mode command prompt? In the command prompt, type in "SFC /scannow" without the quotations and make sure you have the XP installation disk in the PC. This should start the SFC.

Edited by david28, 17 March 2008 - 05:03 AM.

#5 Stormer0719

Stormer0719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:14 AM

yes, anything that starts windows even in safe mode wont work. for example safe mode with command prompt. that puts me to the same screen saying i need the hal.dll recopied to the windows\system32 :thumbsup:

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:17 AM

Ok seems I have come to a brick wall when it comes to ideas :thumbsup:

I would wait and see what some of the other members have to say. I am thinking that maybe you might have to re-install XP, but I could be wrong, there may be a way around this.

Regards,
David.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:31 AM

sys 32 files are not going to be fixed from a dos prompt afaik, at least without a lot of effort

running windows as a repair disk is a lot more user friendly, unfortunately any malware installed is just treated like a normal program and left alone, your system files will be replaced
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Stormer0719

Stormer0719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:36 AM

Ok seems I have come to a brick wall when it comes to ideas :thumbsup:

I would wait and see what some of the other members have to say. I am thinking that maybe you might have to re-install XP, but I could be wrong, there may be a way around this.

Regards,
David.

I'm sure there's a way to boot the computer with only command prompt......Lets hope so, otherwise i might have to start asking how to replace a winXP home CD.....all i have is my code, i'm assuming my CD was stolen from me as its not in the little case it came in and I have been looking for it for about 3 or 4 years now. I thank you for your ideas and time. its much appreciated

Edited by Stormer0719, 17 March 2008 - 06:36 AM.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

all i have is my code,

the actual disk is not a proof of ownership, the certificate of authenticity(even if it's just a sticker on the side of a case)
and it's included install numbers are needed

have you tried last known good from safe mode screen?

you could make a windows startup floppy on another machine and see if access your problem hard drive?

Edited by DaChew, 17 March 2008 - 06:51 AM.

Chewy

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:22 AM

Try this. It has worked for me before

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

i'm assuming my CD was stolen from me as its not in the little case it came in

that's the problem, no cd
Chewy

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

I would run the fixboot and/or the fixmbr commands from the Recovery Console and hope for the best...before I panicked.

Install Recovery Console without an XP CD - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36941.aspx

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2008 - 09:38 AM.

#13 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

I had this case before and what i did is:

I downloaded Slax Linux Kill Bill a Live Linux distibution, it has all the features , networking, USB...

I used it to save all my Data by copying them to an external HD, u can copy them to another PC through network.

Than used another linux ditribution Called Linux Parted Magic (also Live CD) wish is very useful for formating drives and managing drives and creating partitions.

And you could also Use active @ Kill disk to tatally wipe ur HD and really get rid of the malwares and start fresh, active @ is also a bootable CD.

Thats about it.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#14 Stormer0719

Stormer0719
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

Lets see thank you all for your help. I'm in a better understanding why i cant just raom around the C: prompt after a discussion with my brother about fat vs ntfs. I have tried the deleting the boot.ini unfortunitly it didnt work. I found the active@ program for ntfsbootfloppy or what ever it is but I cant seem to move files its more of a recovery thing i guess. I think im pretty much left with the linux live download option but if that doesnt work i guess i'm gonna have to buy another legal copy of XP. As for the having a CD, I do have XP CDs but not really wanting to talk about them :thumbsup: Anyways again I appreciate the help. If anyone knows a dos file i can put on a boot disk that will let me browse and copy files to my c: drive thated be great hehehehe.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:40 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtote...;displaylang=en

a cd is one thing but without this you don't have a legal copy of windows
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users