Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processes Won't End & Computer Not Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 - Helen -

- Helen -

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

I really hope someone here can help me out because this is driving me absolutely insane!

Ok, my problem: Thing is I used this tutorial (using SDFix as shown) yesterday to remove braviax.exe and it worked brilliantly, so I was made up... But the problem is now that my PC will not shut down properly and my system processes do not seem to end when I bring the Task Manager up.

When my PC is switched on it'll work fine for X amount of time, then Firefox will slow and stop loading pages. I've tried to close Firefox and restart it and all that happens is that it that the process remains in the background and it continues not loading pages. I open it up again and low-and-behold, there are two instances of Firefox listed on my system processes in Task Manager. The same thing will happen on the next try and the next, each try bringing another process that won't go away. Pressing end process does not work, neither does end process tree. When this happens as I said above, my PC won't shut down properly. I tell it to shut down and it tries to close the programs and then just acts as if I had not tried to close it down at all, running as it had been.

I hope that makes sense. Numerous Google searches have brought up very in the way of similar problems and it really is driving me nuts now.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by - Helen -, 16 March 2008 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

Welcome to BC
If you have any add-ons with Firefox try removing them. Also try removing Firefox in the Add/Remove programs, then using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove ant remnants of Firefox, that's leftover. Then redownload Firefox and see if that works

Edited by garmanma, 17 March 2008 - 12:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

Regarding the use of SDFix, did you follow these directions exactly?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 - Helen -

- Helen -
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to BC
If you have any add-ons with Firefox try removing them. Also try removing Firefox in the Add/Remove programs, then using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove ant remnants of Firefox, that's leftover. Then redownload Firefox and see if that works

I've just noticed that it's not just Firefox effected but also some other programs like eMule too. This only really seems to happen when Firefox messes up though, so I'll give that a try.

Regarding the use of SDFix, did you follow these directions exactly?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

Yep, and as I said above, everything else seems fine.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

There's seems to be 2 common ways of becoming infected with malware besides for all the old standards, driveby malware where you visit a bad web page with a vulnerable browser and operating system and even downloading and executing an installer from P2P file sharing programs. The last one seems to be even more dangerous and the infections could be very complexe.

You might consider starting a thread in the "Am I Infected" forum
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 squall987

squall987

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

I really hope someone here can help me out because this is driving me absolutely insane!

Ok, my problem: Thing is I used this tutorial (using SDFix as shown) yesterday to remove braviax.exe and it worked brilliantly, so I was made up... But the problem is now that my PC will not shut down properly and my system processes do not seem to end when I bring the Task Manager up.

I have a similar problem but i can close processes with task manager, they just wont stop running if i close them with the x in the corner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users