Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hello, I have a computer that won't start up and instead it shows a black screen and it says NTLDR is missing press Ctrl, Alt, and Del to restart. I tried this several times but it does not work. All I have is a recovery disk and a CD/DVD drive and I don't have a floppy drive it also has all the latest update and Sp3 release candidate 2. Please help. And I just started so I don't know much about computers and what is an attachment?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

There's some good advice here:

NTLDR is Missing
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

IME the most common reason for this error message is a corrupted boot sector. The repair for this is done by using the Recovery Console to run the "fixboot" command.

You can download a copy of the Recovery Console ISO from here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso (DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK). Then use an ISO burner to burn it to a CD. Then boot from the CD to enter the Recovery Console

Here's the BC Tutorial on it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Posted Image
You can also download a boot file from www.ntldrismissing.com and unzip it onto a USB drive or a blank CD. Put it in when you start the computer and you should see a list of choices for fixing the problem. Usually No. 1 does the trick.
When I had to do it there was nothing wrong with my boot sector, it just disappeared (can't remember if it had a virus). Oh wait, I royally stuffed up dual-booting Linux and XP :thumbsup:

Edited by Tomo2, 16 March 2008 - 09:05 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#5 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback I tried some but all I have is CDRs that get unuseable after you put something in them and no USBs :flowers: i'll come back tom. :thumbsup:

#6 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

I don't have an XP disk either :thumbsup:

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

What exactly do you mean by "CDRs that get unuseable after you put something in them"?

Maybe use should try some other disks, or try burning them on a different computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

CDRs compact disk, i mean the regular ones i got confused, but they become corrupt once you use them for some reason:( :flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by ///, 17 March 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#9 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

if you have any ideas please note some of the ideas do not work :flowers: i'll be open to any ideas :thumbsup: .

#10 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks USASMA your topic works my computer but it now says
WHICH WINDOWS INSTALLATION WOULD YOU LIKE TO LOG ON TO
(TO CANCEL, PRESS ENTER) what do i type up?
Please reply, thanks :thumbsup:

#11 ///

///
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

WOW, thanks man now i can boot into the emachines recovery! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users