Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Make It So I Can Edit Video_ts File In Imovie

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 mac_bangle

mac_bangle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

My band was on this crazy public access tv show and we received a copy of our performance on dvd. I want to put it up on youtube.

When i put the disc in my computer idvd comes up and plays it fine.

When i click on the disc instead of having one movie file it has six labeled:

Video_TS.ifo
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB

How do i convert them into an mpeg so i can edit the movie into smaller sections on imovie and then put them up on youtube? Please keep in mind i am running on a mac, so it would have to be a compatible program.

Thank you,
www.myspace.com/righthandband
:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by mac_bangle, 16 March 2008 - 06:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

Welcome to BC.

I don't think Apple supports MPEG. Lord knows I've tried everything I can think of to import MPEG 2 into iDVD, and iMovie.

But I use Toast Titanium 7 to export video and convert it other formats on the Mac.

From the Titanium Toast help menu;

Exporting Video
Toast can convert video files to a variety of different types and export to your hard disk.
To export video:
1 Click the Video tab at the top of the Toast window.
2 Click the Formats tab in the left drawer and choose DVD-Video.
3 Drag and drop video files into the Content Area from your hard disk or the Media Browser.
To use the Media Browser, click the Media tab in the left drawer. Choose Movies to browse your Movies folder and choose DVD to browse DVD-Video discs and VIDEO_TS folders. See Using the Media Browser. You can also use the "+" button at the bottom of the Toast window to add files.
You can add any QuickTime supported video files, such as DV, AVI, MOV, HDV (1080i/720p), and MPEG4. You can also add files that QuickTime doesn't support such as iMovie HD projects, MPEG-2, VOB and DivX.
4 Select the video(s) you want to export.
5 Click Export at the bottom of the Toast window, or choose Disc > Export Video.
6 Choose the Format to convert to. There are several options:
DV: Creates a standard definition DV file that can be used with iDVD and iMovie.
DV 16:9: Creates a widescreen DV file that can be imported into iMovie HD, Final Cut Pro or Express.
HDV 720p: Creates a high definition DV file for use in iMovie HD, or Final Cut HD projects. Recommended if your content is HD 720p.
HDV 1080i: Creates a high definition DV file for use in iMovie HD, or Final Cut HD projects. Recommended if your content is HD 1080i.
QuickTime Movie: Offers full access to all possible QuickTime codecs, selected from the Options... button.
MPEG-4: Creates an MPEG-4 file using Apple's MPEG-4 codec. Recommended for converting to lower resolutions and for streaming applications.
H.264: Creates an MPEG-4 Advanced Video Codec using Apple's H.264 codec, offering high quality at lower bitrates.
3G: Creates an MPEG-4 file using Apple's 3GPP codec. Recommended for playback on portable and handheld devices such as mobile phones.
DivX: Creates a DivX AVI file, offering high quality and low storage requirements. Recommended for portable DivX players.
For PSP: Creates an MPEG-4 file formatted for playback on the PSP (PlayStation Portable). See Exporting Video to the PSPTM.
For iTunes: Extracts the audio portion of the video and creates an M4A audio file for use in iTunes.
Ogg Vorbis: Extracts the audio portion of the video and creates an OGG audio file.
7 Enter a name and choose the location to export to.
8 Click Save.
Toast displays a progress bar and status information as it exports the video.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 12x48y, 16 March 2008 - 09:39 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

mpeg 2 is the standard format of dvd video, pretty much anything supports it

Video_TS.ifo
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB

is pretty much the standard format of a video dvd, the large vob is the actual mpeg 2 file, the ifo and bup are menu/toc files

standard legal programs won't work with protected commercial dvd's
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

mpeg 2 is the standard format of dvd video, pretty much anything supports it

Except iDVD and iMovie, go figure. :thumbsup:

#5 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

Use Handbrake. It automatically rips, converts and deletes the vobs. And you can set the output for many dimensions, fps, etc.

http://handbrake.fr/
Posted Image

#6 mac_bangle

mac_bangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Alright I tried downloading Handbrake but when it wont load up, i click it and then it shuts down.

Also im trying to do this for free if thats possible and Toast seems to cost 70 dollars

Thank you all for your speedy support though

If mac's dont read mpeg's is there a way to change to get the .vob into imovie via some easy free route.

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

I found this post while looking for a way to get mpeg 2 into iDVD.
But its way to complicated for me. Good luck. :thumbsup:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...060416162333377

#8 mac_bangle

mac_bangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

Yeah thats definitly way too complex hahaha

I tried using that program before and it seemed like it was working and then when it was finished the video had this huge thing that said "3ivx trial" that totally ruins the video, and on top of that it didnt capture any of the audio hahah

#9 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Did you DL Handbrake 0.9.2 for Mac OS X Leopard, 10.5.? or Handbrake 0.9.1?

Just curious because I might try it and see if it will work on mac OSX Tiger.

#10 mac_bangle

mac_bangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:34 AM

I did the one for leopard, I just downloaded the other version its currently processing ill let you know how it turned up!

Edited by mac_bangle, 17 March 2008 - 12:36 AM.

#11 mac_bangle

mac_bangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

Ok i used it but it doesnt grab any audio and it still says that weird red trial thing im going to try again maybe something i did before is causing this red screen for no reason and the no audio

#12 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:52 AM

Did you look here? Roadmovie 1.0 looks promising.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/

#13 mac_bangle

mac_bangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

I just downloaded it, it says i cant use it with my current version of mac osx

#14 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:21 AM

I think I'll stick with Windows for video editing, I could rip the DVD to the HD with nero. Import the video and audio with my Screenblast Movie Studio video editor. Cut the movie into smaller files or render it to a format like Quicktime 5 for the web. With the Mac I'm at a loss. it's quite disappointing.

Good luck mac_bangle. I'll check out your myspace page later. :thumbsup:

#15 mac_bangle

mac_bangle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:51 AM

It worked!!!!

I just had some stupid thing on my computer that was creating the watermark. Yeah it seems easier on a windows because there are more programs it seems like, but yeah that program handbrake works though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users