Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Looping Login Caused By Reg Key Deletion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gcdeegan

gcdeegan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

Just pleading for help.
1. I have windows xp. was having problems with ieexplore using memory
2. stupidly took advise on internet to do reg edit
3. computer will not pass login stage and reverts back to saving my settings and shuts down again
4. after 3 solid days of trying to fix this problem, i have achieved two things
4(a) have created a paralel copy on xp (where incidentally I can see my data of old in (MY COMPUTER)
4(:thumbsup: have performed the following action delete c:\windows\system32\config\system (dont ask please)
5. At the moment performing chkdsk /r 78% complete and i'm grinding to a halt.

If you could please help, I solemly promise never to touch anything outside of my comprehension AGAIN (well for a month or two at least :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

Just pleading for help.
1. I have windows xp. was having problems with ieexplore using memory
2. stupidly took advise on internet to do reg edit
3. computer will not pass login stage and reverts back to saving my settings and shuts down again
4. after 3 solid days of trying to fix this problem, i have achieved two things
4(a) have created a paralel copy on xp (where incidentally I can see my data of old in (MY COMPUTER)
4(:thumbsup: have performed the following action delete c:\windows\system32\config\system (dont ask please)
5. At the moment performing chkdsk /r 78% complete and i'm grinding to a halt.

If you could please help, I solemly promise never to touch anything outside of my comprehension AGAIN (well for a month or two at least :flowers:

If whatever you are trying to do doesn't work then
1) restore system to known state - Reinstall the preinstall or buy XP or whatever you have to do
2) buy a good image backup program that saves the state of your system
3) get a good external drive
4) run the image backup regularly to the external drive

then if you get stuck again at least you can get your system back to the
last snapshot and only lose a few days of installs/customizations.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

You don't have to give up messing around with stuff you don't understand - but it'd be wise to have a backup just in case this happens again (I've done it myself many times!)

Do not mess with the registry without backing it up.
Do not delete/modify/add keys in the registry without making a backup/reference copy of that key
Do not use registry cleaners

Deleting c:\windows\system32\config\system will delete the SYSTEM hive for your registry - so you won't be able to recover the first XP installation.

Has chkdsk finished? If so, what were the results?
What would you like to do? We can attempt to repair the first installation of XP and remove the 2nd - or we can try to move your stuff over into the 2nd copy of XP and remove the first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users