Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cant Get Pass Step 4 Of The Preparation Guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 plove79

plove79

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

Hello,
I am a beginner as far as pc's....and appreciate any help provided
I have been unable to download any Antivirus software.......
I have tried to follow the Preparation Guide for use before posting a hijackthis log
I followed Steps 1-3 obviously..I couldnt follow step 4 because after I clicked on the Run open the Adware file downloaded...after the download of adware 2007 I selected run and it asks for language I selected English and then nothing happened.....then.. I got the error message...."Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"....after IE closes I try to reopen it and get the same error m essage then my desktop goes blank for a second only showing my background image..and all of my icons on my desktop disappear briefly before returning...and in order to get back to the web I have to restart my PC...before restarting pc makes an error sound a dialog box appears briefly says something to the affect of dwwin.lll or something sorry couldnt really catch it all and pc restarts...I tried to pick up on the second part of step 4 and download Spybot..after the download I get the same error message from my Ad Ware 2007 download...and IE closes again unable to open IE desktop goes blank again....have to restart pc which leads me to this very moment.......It seems that I am not going to be able to complete any of the neccessary steps to provide you guys with what you need to help my correct this problem I am having.....please advise of what I should do next....before posting here someone advised me to try Housecall..Step 5 and it just froze after an hour......I will try step 5 again if someone advises that I do so.....again thanks for all your help and please advise of next step for me....sorry forgot to mention in my Temp folder the following files will not delete when I empty the folder "WCESLog" and "IadHide3.dll".....any insight on these and if they are in fact a part of my problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi plove79
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 )Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Note: If you are using Vista... please right click the desktop icon and select 'Run as Administrator'.

Then just skip to Step 9 in the list.
See if you can produce a log then.

Edited by Starbuck, 16 March 2008 - 04:14 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

I downloaded the ATF cleaner and it removed some files.......then when trying step 9.......I selected run for HJT and IE closed and HJT didnt open said it encountered a problem and needed to close had to restart pc to get back IE........please advise

Edited by plove79, 16 March 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

Is IE the only browser you have on your computer?
Have you ever used 'Firefox'?

BBPP6nz.png

#5 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

No I have firefox also............please advise

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Try the downloads using Firefox.... this may work if you are having problems with IE

BBPP6nz.png

#7 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but which downloads are you referring to ................

#8 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Do you already have the Hjt program on your pc?
If so .... make sure that all windows and IE are closed before trying to open Hjt.

BBPP6nz.png

#9 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

Holy crap something worked..........yes I had HJT on my desktop...I closed all windows and clicked on it and for the first time it open.......it ran a test and came back with this.

sorry I will post it there

Edited by plove79, 16 March 2008 - 04:45 PM.

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

That's good to see.... but you shouldn't have posted it here.
I suggest editting your post.... and then posting the log in the hjt room

BBPP6nz.png

#11 plove79

plove79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Starbuck thanks for even getting my to this point......its really appreciated.......I have posted the log on the HJT section and am waiting for a reply........at last I have hope of fixing this issue......greatly appreciated

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

No problem plove79
sorry i was a bit confused at the beginning.
But we got there in the end. :thumbsup:
Hope you get sorted.

BBPP6nz.png

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

Now that you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users