Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformating My Sony Vaio Vgc-rb30

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nap101

nap101

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hi everyone, and thank you for looking at my post, Well i am in the mist of re formating my computer doing a fresh reinstall of windows xp pro and removing all of the garbage apps sony has preinstalled in my computer, while on the process of re formating i see a partition of EISA using up 6.01 gb of space i know for fact this is were the recovery for the system is held at (start/rightclick my computer/manage/disk management under volume i see 2 drives of NTFS one is (c:) the other is (k:) the c drive holds 180.30 gb of capacity the k drive holds 6.01gb of capacity by right clicking the k drive i scrolled to explore to see if it is what i suspected the recovery files and other junk that sony preinstalls to purchasers, what i wanted to do is delete this partition and possibly modify partition were eisa is created to joint that partition with (C:) to make this short can i reformat a clean install delete eisa with out problems or corruption towards my system or am i just stuck with this crap ware? again thanks for the time

(update): Im back just to edit, ok i went back to my disk management to check on the volume , now the volume has changed in the EISA CONFIGUATRATION
now there is no letter assigned to the drive it is blank before i stated the EISA CONFIGUATRATION had a letter (k:) now its gone the EISA shows up but now with out a appointed letter weird still shows the same space beign used up as 6.01gb. before when it was marked with a letter it would had let me right click the letter and explore it now it does not let me do this after a reboot checking the disk management.

Edited by nap101, 16 March 2008 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Personally I would leave the recovery partition alone, they can come in handy at times.

If you want to remove all the preinstalled crap from your computer try using The PC Decrapifier.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nap101

nap101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

6.01 GB of worthless crap on my pc , i should be able to do what i please to my own properties i purchased with my hard earn cash With those extra 6gb i can do plenty of other stuff, so why shouldn't i do it, can you please explain if there were issues before because of doing this? it feels weird to have other ppl junk on your own computer (spyware) things that you never downloaded installed or even use, and thanks for the link but i am looking for a clean install i have right now installed home xp and now i am going to install xp pro i already did a back up of the recovery to dvd and also have all the drivers on disk i also have a step by step guide on what drivers go in what order the only question asked if has anyone tried this method of partition the EISA, like using Acronis true image or partition magic

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

If you want to get rid of the recovery partition you could use GParted.

The only issue I can think of is that you might want to check your warranty agreement to make sure that you're not voiding it by reformatting.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

You can format and remove the partition if you like - that's your prerogative. We're just warning of the possible consequences of removing this partition. Also, by setting up the PC, you agreed to the terms of the PC Manufacturer - and that includes the installation of the "crap" software.

I've restored several Sony's at work - both with and without the recovery partition. But, in one case, the restore DVD's were badly scratched and the customer had to get new one's from Sony before we could finish the restore. Multiple backups are a good idea - especially in a case like this where the customer was anxious to get the system back - but had to wait until Sony mailed him the recovery disks (and took a few bucks out of his pocket).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nap101

nap101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

If you want to get rid of the recovery partition you could use GParted.

The only issue I can think of is that you might want to check your warranty agreement to make sure that you're not voiding it by reformatting.

warranty is over it has been for a year, so now i will upgrade to a better os

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users