Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound, No Matter How Many Driver Reinstallations I Did

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angry-J

Angry-J

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

I got so many problems with my computer and my sound is one of them.

My computer always starts out with sound but seconds later, my computer keeps saying that there is no audio device. I already searched for a driver for my audio device, but it rarely works every time. Yesterday, it worked, but now it doesn't.

The last time my sound worked perfectly was back in February, and I should have gotten this fixed but I'm in school and mostly use my laptop at school. So I had little time to get my computer somehow fixed with the many problems it has.

This is my first time here so, there I go.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

On board sound or a sound card? If a sound card, what brand name is it?

#3 Angry-J

Angry-J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

VIA Technologies

I have the Vinyl AC'97 Combo Device or whatever it was called. I always end up doing the following:

1. Going to Device Manager and uninstalling my driver.
2. Going to Control Panel, Add Hardware, adding hardware in the advanced area, going to VIA Technologies, and reinstalling the driver.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have more problems with my computer but problems are limited in these forums so this is my sound problem.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I can't hear any sound playback in music files, video files, I can't even hear sound when I'm Youtube.

The only place where my sound seems to work is when I play my computer games (i.e. Audiosurf)

Edited by Angry-J, 21 March 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

I have that device aswell. Maybe the card is faulty? How odl is it?

#5 Angry-J

Angry-J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I have no idea the age my of sound card is. All I know is this:

1. When I uninstall and reinstall, it rarely works now.
2. It seems to play sound when I play a computer game, but not audio or video files.
3. I got this computer built by my dad so I have no idea. I think it was around 2003 or so when I had my computer built, and my computer was still using Windows 2000. I just went to XP like a few years ago, probably 2006, I don't remember.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

Does it have onboard sound? (Does your Mobo have onboard sound?) If it does, try using that and see if it works.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:18 AM

Angry-J,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users