Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll Error Loading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ditroia

Ditroia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

...THE SPECIFIED MODULE COULD NOT BE FOUND

1st Box
C:\USERS\DANNY\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\SSTRO.DLL

2nd Box
C:\USERS\DANNY\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\AWVUT.DLL

Hi I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anybody could help me with this problem. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my laptop was getting a bit sluggish and whenever I start it up I get two boxes pop up with the same message but about different dll files.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help given!

Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi Ditroia and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Obviously a program on your computer has tried to remove these files and may have left something behind.

Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
  • Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt as a reply to this thread.
Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove. In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button" when VundoFix appears upon rebooting.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 Ditroia

Ditroia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

I've run the vundofix program but it cannot detect anything wrong after scanning and as a result there is no fix log to post! What could this mean?

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi Ditroia

It sounds as if the files have been removed but the 'startup' entry is still there.
Do you have 'Spybot search & Destroy' installed on your system?
This program also includes a 'Startup Manager' which we can use to stop the startup entries.

BBPP6nz.png

#5 Ditroia

Ditroia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I installed spybot search & destroy and used the utility on it to stop the two entries on startup, many thanks for your help :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users