Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bit Defendr 8 Is Blocking The Install Of Mcafee Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SuzanneJ

SuzanneJ

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

My Norton's expired and because I have internet through Comcast I am able to access the McAfee Suite for free. I uninstalled the Norton's suite and tried to download the McAfee Suite. All parts of the suite installed sucessfully with the exception of the AntiVirus. When the download reaches the antiVirus portion a message appears that Bit Defender 8 is on my machine and McAfee AntiVirus will not install. Sometime ago I uninstalled Bit Defender. I have looked at all of my programs and do not see it anywhere in my computer. Is there something I might be overlooking? I contacted McAfee and described my problem. They suggested that I uninstall the McAfee, restart my comouter in Safe Mode and then download the Suite. I did - but still the Bit Defender 8 shows any will not allow the installation of the McAfee AntiVirus.

Can someone suggest how to completely clean any reference to Bit Defender from my machine so that I can get McAfee AntVirus on my machine? I'm not comfortable leaving my machine exposed to possible virus attacks.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Suzanne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Uninstalling these anti virus programs tends to go better when you use their uninstallation tool. Have a look at this.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=175

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

of interest,before it too refuses to co-operate fully, did you run the Norton removal tool to get rid of Norton?
OR; assuming you are on an OS with System Restore; can you roll it back to prior to even Norton and make a clean sweep of it? :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

Yes, run the BitDefender uninstall tool
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 SuzanneJ

SuzanneJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

My Norton's was sucessfully uninstalled using their uninstall tool.
I ran the BitDefender unistall tool using the link you provided - it was not sucessfull - program could not locate the application.
I tried the System Restore, but restore points prior to March 16th do not exist.
McAfee AntiVirus still will not install because somewhere on my computer BitDefender 8 still exists

I'm thinking about re-installing Bit Defender for Virus protection. Will this work and not affect the rest of my McAfee Security Suite?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

You can't have two anti virus programs running. They will conflict. There are likely still traces of Bit Defender on your system. I don't know enough to know how to get rid of them. Wait for someone else. Since you used the Windows Uninstaller, maybe the Windows Cleanup Utility will work.

#7 SuzanneJ

SuzanneJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

Will do. Thanks FrankP :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users