Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

what is the best way repartition an extra hard drive with 2 primary partitions then install Xp on each?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

If by "extra", you mean that you will attach it to the motherboard via a motherboard connector...yes, that can be done.

Use the XP CD to...no, first decide how large you want each partition to be...then use the XP CD to create/format the first partition. After that is done, use the XP CD to create the second partition.

Both partitions must be set up as primary partitions, not extended or logical partitions.

After both partitions are done, then you will be given the option of booting into either install (at boot).

Not sure if "extra" means external to you. But I don't think that anyone can install XP on an external hard drive, there seems to be no consensus opinion on whether such will work.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i...l+hard+drive%3F

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:56 AM

If the hdd is blank us the XP CD to format and set up the two partitions, you will set the size of the partitions as well. Then just choose the partition that you want the XP installed on and go from there. This article explains how to install Windows, I would recommend not following the advice regarding updating the BIOS unless you are having problems with it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

My intent was to start with the new HD and load 2 primary partitions and copies of Xp. Then recover the files from my original HD.

When using the Xp disc where in the reinstall will it allow me to define the partition configuration I am looking to setup?

Does it ask to add additional partitions after the initial partition is made as the primary?

Thanks for the help

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

The tutorial that the link I provided address partitioning. The set up process will walk you through the installation, and when you get to the process of partitioning the hdd you will be asked if you wish to do this, and then you will have to choose the size of the partition. Once this is done it will ask you if you want to make a partition on the remaining space.

Why are you wanting to install XP on both partitions? You only need the one.

If both hdds are PATA (or IDE) you can install the new hdd as the master and the old hdd as the slave and transfer your files from the old drive to the new one by dragging and dropping them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

I have Media Center which uses a video card with an old driver and works flawlessly. After updating the video card driver for better graphics performance editing HD video the Media Center has become very unstable and I use this media program alot.

After reinstalling the original copy from the OEM I have indeed verified the updated driver as being the culprit. Hence configuring a dual boot setup which will theoretically allow switching at reboot for the application required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users