Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Maps Won't Draw In Ie7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

I am sure I must have a setting wrong on my machine (Vista Ultimate 2 gigs of Ram, 3.0 ghz processor, 750 gigs of hard drive space over 3 drivers.)

I've designed a web page (http://www.fbcarmi.com) that utilizes a Google Map. I generated the code and place it in the web page contact.htm. When I use Firefox all works perfectly. Even on my laptop and friends computers (mine runs Vista Home Premium and several friends are running XP) the map draws correctly.

I've been to Google's help site and followed all their suggestions but maps still won't draw on my computer. I have just about decided to my Firefox my primary browser.

If anyone has had this problem and has any suggestions on correcting it, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:31 AM

Moved this to see if the Web Developers have a better idea.
The only suggestion that I can come up with is this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:01 AM

We need to see the code that you are using to display the map. I looked at the contact.html page on your website, and I do not see any code for that.

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

It is on the "location.htm" page. Here is a word-wrapped view of the source:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2572/fbcc04ada8.png

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

Your HTML does not validate properly, but I doubt that is the problem. The validator does not like one of the tags in your iframes, either. When I run it in IE, if I refresh the map, it works just fine. I can't see why though.

The simple solution would be to just do a screen capture and convert the map to an image, except that you lose the ability to zoom and such. The other option would to be to force a refresh on that IFrame after the page loads. Or another option would be to add some text that says "If the map does not display, right click on the map and select refresh."

I would try to get the code to validate properly just on the off chance that it might be causing some problem. The only real way to find out what is causing the issue is to remove elements from the web-page until the map starts loading correctly (which is a tedious process), or just the opposite. Start with a blank page, add the map, then add the various elements in until the map does not load properly (equally tedious). Sometimes that is the only way to figure out exactly what is happening. When I check your source code, I am not getting any javascript errors, but I am getting a CSS error complaining about a 'zoom' attribute.

Even on my laptop and friends computers (mine runs Vista Home Premium and several friends are running XP) the map draws correctly

I forgot to clarify.. Firefox works on all of those computers, or IE?

#6 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

It runs equally well on both IE7 and Firefox. I have had fifteen to twenty people in our church call and tell me it works just fine. Some are running IE7 and other Firefox. Operating sytems range from Windows 98 SE through Vista.

I think I will try your suggestion to rebuild the page starting with the map code and continue to add until the problem appears. It seems like it is only happening on my computer!! There hasn't been anyone I've talked with that says it is not working properly. Go figure.

Will keep everyone posted on what I find out. Thanks for all of your assistance.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

It didn't load on mine either, until I refreshed the map.

#8 Wysi Free

Wysi Free

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

It runs equally well on both IE7 and Firefox. I have had fifteen to twenty people in our church call and tell me it works just fine. Some are running IE7 and other Firefox. Operating sytems range from Windows 98 SE through Vista.

I have no answer but will report that Firefox on my XP box will not open the map or the larger map. IE6 opens both with no problem.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users