Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Firewall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hwatson

hwatson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

HELP ... :thumbsup:

I have just bought 2 Dell dimension computers with windows xp home.
I am fairly computer literate and although don't understand a lot of technical stuff can do it when instructed!!
The computers came with McAfee firewall installed
I had probs networking the 2 computers and had to get a techie in to help. It turned out it was the Windows firewall creating a problem. So we sorted that by turning off the Windows firewall (remembering I have McAfee firewall!!)
Meanwhile even with the Windows firewall off I couldn't use my FTP software.
My ftp settings are fine - done it for years!
I was advised to try different ftp software - I've tried 3 now!
Still the same prob.

So I turned the Windows firewall back to original default settings (Firewall on etc) thinking I could start from scratch.
NOT A CHANCE!!!
Now I've messed up the home networking AND still can't use ftp.

PLEASE can someone give me step by step instructions to configure the Windows xp firewall (either on or off) for home networking and ftp - instructions for both computers.
JUST EASY STEP BY STEP instructions and I'll follow them to the letter.

I've been into the Dell forum for this problem and there's pages of entries with people having the same problem - but no solutions - well not that I could understand.

Looking forward to SOMEONE'S help.
Thanks.....

Edited by hwatson, 17 March 2005 - 09:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:34 AM

If it were me, I would system restore both of my computers simply by: Start>All Programs>Accesories>System Tools>System Restore

Restore your computers back to the time before they had the problem and it should be good as new. But Id ask the professionals just to be safe.

#3 Nielsvds

Nielsvds

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:29 PM

Look at this site how to configure windows xp firewall : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;875356
but their are much better freeware firewalls such as Sygate , Zone-alarm , etc.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

The Windows firewall blocks only incoming traffic, not outgoing too as all the others do. It is therefore less effective as it offers no protection against trojans calling home.

Is the Mcafee firewall a new subscription? (IN other words, when does its license expire?)

It is a suitable firewall if you have enough time left on its subscription to make investing the time to set it up so it works for you (and your FTP capability) worth doing.

(Is this the Mcafee firewall that comes bundled with Zonealarm pro?)

If it isn't worth your investment in time and energy, the free version of Zonealarm SE is all you will ever need. Sygate is recommended by those who have used it as well, and there are others available, also freeware.

Restore windows to the point it was at before you changed anything. Shut the McAfee firewall off and make sure the Windows firewall is on, setup your FTP settings and make sure they work, then turn the Windows firewall off and turn McAfee back on. It should recognize the FTP program as soon as you access it and ask you to set permission for it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 March 2005 - 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users