Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer...well...bleeps

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 banenerd1892

banenerd1892

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

I just finished building my new computer and it bleeps when i turn it on. It doesn't turn on enough for me to go to bios and no image goes to the monitor. It just gets stuck bleeping at me. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I have checked and double checked to make sure everything is plugged in and I still can't figure it out. Pleas help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 banenerd1892

banenerd1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Btw... the beep sequence is: long beep (about 2-3 seconds) followed by two short quick beeps. Thanks

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hey there banenerd1892.

Without knowing your motherboard model it's hard to say. Generally speaking, a "one long, two short" beep code indicates a video problem, as in the BIOS can't initialize the video card. If you're using a discrete (i.e. not onboard but plugged into the PCI bus) then try reseating the card (pulling it out and sticking it back in.) Make sure it's completely in the slot. You may want to try booting without the card altogether and see what kind of beep (if any) you get then.

Please post back with your motherboard and video card brands and model numbers.

#4 banenerd1892

banenerd1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

motherboard- asus m2n32-sli deluxe
video card - geforce 8800 gts

thanks

btw, tried with and without graphics and the beeping still persisted

Edited by banenerd1892, 15 March 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

Your manual should have a list of the beep codes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

I'm assuming that you're only using one video card? (if not, make sure that both cards are the same!)

Have you tried putting your card in the other PCIe slot?

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Your manual should have a list of the beep codes.

Doesn't look like it. I downloaded the manual from Asus and saw nothing on the beep codes. However, the screen captures of the BIOS setup utility say "Phoenix Award" and the generic beep code for video failure is one long and two short in Award BIOSes.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 March 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#8 banenerd1892

banenerd1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

I looked around on the internet and found a lot of similar cases. A lot of people are saying that on this board it's a memory issue when it's that beep sequence. The memory I have in it, 2 1 gb patriot pc2-6400 800 mhz, are brand new (I literally got it out of the package today). I don't know what to do. I really don't want to have to take this memory back. It was on a really good sale at fry's lol. Thanks

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

One long beep followed by two short beeps indicates a problem with memory.

You can download Asus's trouble shooting suggestions which include the beep codes here, choose the trouble shoot option.

Edit: I tried to provide a link directly to the page you will want, but it takes you to the same page as the first I posted. You will need to click on the "Select Category" box and choose motherboard and then choose the first troubleshoot option.

Edited by dc3, 15 March 2008 - 11:55 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 banenerd1892

banenerd1892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

Allright, I think i've figured it out... thx alot you guys. I guess I'll run into fry's and return this RAM and get some more... bah humbug...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users