Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Become A Reviewer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

I've had some free time on my hands recently and have decided that I want to get into reviewing software. But I have a problem. I have no idea how to get started. Can anyone help me get started?

Oh and one question. I've heard that reviewers can request free review copies of software from companies that give them like 30 days or so to try out the software and review that. Is that true?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

Yes, it is possible to get hardware, software, and books for review. Especially if you have a website that generates a lot of traffic, or if you are some sort of expert in your field, or well known for some other reason. If you don't fit into any of those categories, you are going to have tough time. You will have to demonstrate to someone that you are capable of writing a coherent and structured review, and need a place to publish the review. Most websites that do reviews have have just a few people that do them. They are hard to do because opinions must be based on tangibles, must be fair, and must reflect the goals and philosophies of whatever website is hosting the review.

Generally when you do reviews, you get to keep the product, with the exception being hardware (in most cases). I have done about a dozen book reviews, and I have been able to keep the books. I have done two hardware reviews (one is in progress), and I have been fortunate to be able to keep the hardware in those cases though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users